One of the most successful and prosperous Con-federados in that area was Mr. Harvey Hall. Mr. Hall was a wealthy plantation owner from Colum-bus, Georgia who in 1866 sold all his possessions and land for ten cents to the dollar and moved to Brazil to start over. Through hard work and perseverance he succeeded in creating a duplicate plantation and plantation home on the Capivari river near Ameri-cana. Crowning the estate was a spacious, typical Old South mansion, a restful respite for guests and travelers. Mr. Hall became very successful, bringing in other fellow Georgians by newspaper adver-tisements such as blacksmiths, house builders, furniture and wagon makers to join the colony there.
One day in October, 1877, eleven years after he had come down to this strange land he was shot dead by Jess Wright, the Texas Cowboy, in a field near his home. there were no witnesses, but it was surmised that the shooting had followed an argument between the two men. An apparent feud between the two men came to a climax over Hall's shooting one of the cowboy's mule who had wandered into Hall's plan-tation and was trampling the cotton fields. In a rage Wright approached Hall and demanded sat-isfaction. Within minutes Hall lay dead.
After saying a quick goodbye to his wife and family. Wright fled fled the colony. Before nightfall a posse of Confederados an Brazilian State Guard came looking for him, but Wright had caught a ride on a passing train and was in the port city of Santos, one hundred miles away, by the next morning. From there he caught a ship to New Orleans, safely out of reach. We do not know if he took his hounds with him. Both families were prominent. The wrights had their friends and the Halls had theirs, and the ugly incident marred relationships within the colony for years to come. Things were especially bad for those who helped Mrs. Wright and the children go to Texas to join her fugitive husband, now employed as a lawman. The belief was that Jess had learned to use his six-shooter too well during the Civil War. Charlie Hall, son of the deceased, plan- ned to go to Texas and hunt down Mr. Wright and settle the score. Cooler heads prevailed and he was dissuaded by his younger brother and the matter was eventually dropped.
Charlie died in 1910 and the old home place remained in the family until 1917 when his widow sold it to a wealthy pharmacist in Americana. It was turned into a school, still in operation today.
The Lost Colony of the Confederacy Pages 99-102
By Eugene C. Harter
The Hall Plantation in Brazil
Confederado Hervey Halll constructed a duplicate of his lovely Georgia plantation on the Capivari Road, in the community of Retiro( now a suburb of Americana), where many confederate families had settled, including the Wrights, Steagles, McKnights, Pyles, MacAlpines, and Tanners. Crowning the estate was a spacious, typical Old South mansion. It was a home designed for visitors. A traveler could stay overnight in the comfortable bedrooms and stroll through the manicured gardens. Several buildings, including the cotton gin house, tobacco-curing barn, and slave cabins, sur-rounded the big house, serving for plantation economy. It even had its own church building. Only the coffee-drying pallets gave it a foreign appearance, distinguishing it ever so slightly from the larger plantations of the American Old South.
The neighbors, some with pride, others with envy, pointed out to visitors the lovely house and grounds. Grandfather Harris in his youth lived nearby. He described Harvey Hall as a courtly gentleman who was kind to children in the neighborhood but seldom took his mind off the man-agement of his plantation. Hall was blessed with an acute business sense, and he knew how to grow cotton. He began making money almost from the day he arrived in Brazil. Far from the reach of the US federal government, he had reconstructed his prewar way of life. But he was haunted by tragic events. Intensely religious since the death of his wife at war’s end at their home in Columbus, Georgia, he sought comfort in his work and in the church community in his new surroundings. The Reverend Newman, in whose home grandfather resided, was his closest friend.
After the War Hall had sold his possessions for ten cents on the dollar, had gathered up his four grown children (the two boys were veterans of the Confederate army, members of Lee’s forces in Virginia), and in May 1866 had left for far away Brazil. To forget the past, Hall immersed himself in his labors. The memories of his wife, of the war, and of his lost happy home in Georgia were a heavy burden.
The move was the tonic he was looking for.” I have never seen such prolific soil!”, he exalted. “Everything grows as if by magic…… In less than two years we will have paid for this place from the proceeds.” Hall enjoyed writing back to the newspapers of his home state, describing his life in this new country. Balmy Brazil was a place where a man could enjoy a long summer evening all year long. His advice was to bring enough working capital to set up properly; two thousand dollars is the figure he used. He warned off the lazy. Be prepared to work with your hands, he cautioned. Through the Georgia papers, he recruited blacksmiths, house builders, furniture makers, wagon makers, and other technicians to join the Sao Paulo colony. “Fifteen dollars here I consider work as much as twenty five dollars in the states,” he would repeat joyously.
But for Hall, it all came tonight. One day in October 1877, eleven years after he had arrived in this strange land he was shot dead by Jess Wright, the Texas cowboy, in a field near his home. There were no witnesses, but it was surmised-that the shooting had followed an argument between the two men. Judith Jones recounts the story that a feud between the two came to a climax over Hall’s shooting of one of the Cowboys mules that had wandered into Hall’s plantation and was trampling his Cotton fields. In a rage, Wright apparently approached Hall demanding satisfaction. Within minutes Hall lay dead.
After saying goodbye to his family, Wright leg the colony. Before nightfall a party a Confederados and members of the Brazilian State Guard came looking for him, but Wright had caught a ride on a passing train and was in the port city of Santos, one hundred miles away, by the next morning. From there he caught a ship to New Orleans, safely out of reach.
The Confederates were stunned. They tried to console Hall’s children. Both families were prom-inent. The Wrights had their friends and the Halls had theirs, and the ugly incident marred relations within the colony for many years. Things were especially unpleasant for those who helped Mrs. Wright and the children go to Texas to join her fugitive husband, now employed as a lawman. The belief was that Jess Wright was a gunslinger who had learned to use his six shooter too well during the Civil War. Charlie, Hall’s eldest son, planned to hunt Wright down in Texas to settle the score. His brother, George, finally persuaded him to drop the matter and let the whole family begin life and you on the Henry A gunslinger who had learned to use his sick shooter to well during the Civil War. Charlie, halls eldest son, plan to hunt right down in Texas to settle the score. His brother, George, finally persuaded him to drop the matter and let the whole family begin life anew on the plantation.
Charlie, an energetic man like his father, took over the enterprise and made it prosper. Like many of the Brazilian Confederados, he raised a large family. As Blanche Weaver wrote of him, “His spacious white columned house with it wide verandas was the center of social life in the community. Ministers were invited to stay in his house and a church was built on his land. His hospitality served not only to lessen the loneliness of the young missionaries but also to encourage proper matches for his daughter. Five of his nine daughters married missionary preachers from the United States.
Charlie Hall died at 1910 after suffering a fall at his home. The Hall plantation existed until 19717, gradually diminishing in size as the city limits of Americana expanded and finally encircled the property. That year, at the death of Elizabeth, Charlie's wife, the mansion house was sold to Candido Cruz, a prosperous pharmacist in Americana. His wife converted the spacious home into a school, which continues in operation.
The sale of the aging plantation house also marked the beginning of the end for the church that the Halls had built on the property. It had become the ivy covered Protestant Church of Americana, serving the entire community and conducting all services in English. It survived for a while, but the diminishing number of Confederates finally could not justify its existence, and it closed its doors. Today, only the chapel at the Confederate cemetery still remains as the “official” church of the Confederate descendants in Americana. As for the Halls, they slowly scattered in all directions down through the years, Brasílianized themselves, and receded into the vast society of that country.
A photo of the original Hervey Hall Plantation house - Columbus Georgia. A duplicate was erected near Americana,Brazil
Persistent Link to Item:
Hervey Hall home
Hervey Hall home. Photograph of the Hervey Hall home located at 445 West Broad Street. Hall moved to Brazil at the end of the Civil War. The large chimneys were built of rocks hauled in ox-carts by slaves. The house later became Vicker's Funeral Home and then Strickland Funeral Home. The house was demolished in the mid 1980s.
Caption: "Hall County Library Photo Collection (0247) Gainesville, Georgia."
Digitized by: Digital Techniques, Inc.
Electronic version made available through a federal Library Services and Technology Act Grant and Georgia Public Library Services.
JANE CATHERINE IVES
BIRTH27 Oct 1812
North Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut, USA
DEATH6 Apr 1871 (aged 58)
Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky, USA
Columbus, Muscogee County, Georgia, USA
PLOTSection A, Lot 21 (Sexton's system); Section A, in or near Lot 264 (Autry's system)
Married 20 FEB 1843 in Muscogee County, Georgia, to Hervey / Harvey HALL. Mother.
The 1850 census of Columbus, Muscogee County, Georgia, shows: Harvey HALL (aged 48 years, born in Vermont, merchant, holding real estate valued at $16,000), Jane C. HALL (36 CT), and the following HALL children (all born in Georgia): Mary (14), George (13), William (10), Henry (10), Anna (8), Charles (5), Lucy (3), & Sarah (4 months), as well as Miss Sophia IVES (30 CT), E. POMEROY (male, 50 CT, merchant), Miss Mary POMEROY (40 CT), & Miss Jane POMEROY (6 AL).
The 1860 census of Gainesville, Hall County, Georgia, shows: Harvey HALL (57 VA merchant, real estate $24,000, personal estate $165,000), J. C. HALL (47 CT), George I. HALL (22 GA), William F. HALL (21 AL), Henry HALL (19 AL), Anna HALL (17 AL), Lucy HALL (11 GA), Charles HALL (13 AL), Eugenia HALL (20 AL), Sophia HALL (9 AL), Julia HALL (5 GA), Lucy IVES (15 CT), & M. A. WALKER (45 MA).
"FUNERAL NOTICE. // The friends and acquaintances of Mr. and Mrs. HERVEY HALL, are invited to attend the funeral of the latter, from Trinity [Episcopal] Church, this (Friday) morning at 10 o'clock." [Columbus (GA) Enquirer newspaper, Friday, 05 MAY 1871, p 3.]
The listing from a 1943 cemetery survey of Linwood by the LDS Southern States Mission shows: HALL, Jane C. (Mrs.), b.27 Oct. 1812, New Haven, Conn., d. 6 Apr. 1871 at Lexington, Ky. Wife of Hervey HALL.
Mary Jane Galer's list of persons interred in the New Cemetery area of Linwood shows: Mrs. Harvey HALL & child were buried 05 MAY 1871 [evidently re-interment of child] in Section A, Lot 21 - Sexton James LYNAH.
"The following report of the Sexton for the quarter ending June 30, was received: / WHITE CEMETERY. . .May 5--Mrs. HALL and child, re-interred, non-resident." [Columbus (GA) Enquirer newspaper, Wednesday, 12 JUL 1871, p. 3. As Mrs. HALL had a funeral notice in the newspaper at the time, it is supposed that the "re-interment" [i.e. removal of grave from one plot to another] is in reference only to the child, which is very likely her child. However, the death date on her grave marker is reported to be 06 APR 1871, it is possible that she was initially buried in Kentucky and subsequently removed to Linwood Cemetery.]
This grave is probably not identifiably marked.
A MICHIGAN MAN DRIVEN FROM GEORGIA.
In the Detroit Advertiser, the following letter appears,
from a correspondent in Vermontville, Michigan:
'Under date of August 19, 1856, Mr Moses C. Church, formerly a resident of this place, where his parents now live, but then being in the employ of his uncle, Harvey Hall, in Columbus, Georgia, wrote a letter to his father, which contained the following paragraph:
"Politics just now are all the go here—in fact, I never saw a community so wholly given up to it in my life. We have only two tickets—Fillmore and Buchanan, though, if there was a little more courage, and a little more concert of action, it would not be hard to get up a Fremont ticket; and though there would be no chance of his carrying the state, he would get more votes than many suppose.
"Another four years will see great changes throughout the entire South. All this talk about dis-solving the Union, if Fremont is elected, is nothing but so much gas. The working, non-slaveholding mechanics, and others who are dependent upon their daily labour for their support, feel sorely the competition of non-paid labour; and they do not hesitate to say they would vote for Fremont if they had a chance. As voters, they are three to one of the slaveholders, and they are fast finding out their strength. Thinking, sober men here acknowledge that they already see the beginning of the end; and one remarked to me only last week that, in his opinion, ten years from that day would not see a slave in America. So strong is his belief, that he has disposed of all his property of that kind, and does not intend to own any more. It is a current remark here among the working-classes, that for the future those who own slaves, and have the benefit of them, may do their own watching—they will not. I claim to know what I say, as we employ a good many hands, and I know what they say."
'This paragraph was published in the Eaton County Republican, and some person, actuated either by a mean, low-lived spirit of mischief, or a deep-seated, infernal malignity, enclosed a half-sheet of the paper in an envelope, and forwarded it to Mr Harvey Hall. On receiving it, Mr Hallrepaired, in hot haste, and full of fiery indignation, to the boarding-place of lus nephew, to pour out the phial of red-hot wrath upon his head. Mr Church unhesitatingly informed his uncle that he wrote the paragraph, and that it contained his honest convictions, though he did not in the least seek to promulgate them at the South. Mr Hall then told him that if these were his sentiments, he could not entertain them at the South; and he felt it to be his duty to rid the community of his presence. He also threatened him with personal violence unless he speedily left the country. This was on Saturday. Mr Hall added further, that he must leave the first part of the next week; and if he concluded to do so, he need have no apprehension of personal violence, as he (Hall) was the only one that knew of the letter, and no measures would be taken to forcibly expel him until he should report in the matter. There were two other members of the firm which employed Mr Church. On consulting with them, though they wished his services, yet they told him he had better leave, for his uncle would surely carry his threat into execution if he did not, and the result would be riot and bloodshed. Mr Church saw that if he undertook to remain, his life would be endangered, and his wife and young child left to the tender mercies of a Georgiamob, and all heathendom, except Missouri, could not have furnished one more bloodthirsty, reckless, and unprincipled. Wisely, then, he concluded to leave; and, arranging his business as best he could, though at a sacrifice of four or five hundred dollars, did so on the next Wednesday.
'Mr Hall is a native of Vermont. He emigrated to Georgia. There he acquired wealth and slaves, and has become what he is. At his solicitation, his nephew left a lucrative situation in New York city to enter his employ; and for writing the above paragraph to his father, he is threatened with "personal violence" at the hands of the slave-driving interest of one of the cities of one of our confederate republics, unless he speedily leaves.'
HERVEY and JANE had st least ten children:
1. Mary Pomeroy Hall
2. George Ives Hall
3. William Fitzgerhald Hall
4. Eugenia Hall
5. Henry Harrison Hall
6. Anna louise Hall
7. Charles Moses Hall
8. Lucy Cairns Hall
9. Sarah Sophia Montague Hall
10. Julia Brce Hall
MARY POMEROY HALL
BIRTH 1835 • Muscogee County, Georgia, USA
DEATH October 1857 • Muscogee County, Georgia, USA
Married: About 1855
George Washington Ticknor Dillingham, son of George Washington Dullingham and Lucy Elizabeth Ticknor
BIRTH 28 July 1833 • Columbus, Muscogee, Georgia
DEATH 28 December 1896 • Columbus, Muscogee County, Georgia
He would marry secondly to his sister-in-law, Anna Louise Hall in 1861
From Find A Grave:
Birth year about 1836 (died age 21). Daughter of Hervey "Harvey" & Jane Catherine (Ives) Hall. Married probably about 1855 to George W. Dillingham. After Mary's death, George married her sister Anna Louise Hall in 1861
COLUMBUS, GA: Lists of People, 1828-1852, and Sexton's Reports to 1866 by Mary Jane Galer (published 2000), on page 213 says Mrs. Geo. W. Dillingham died of Scarlet Fever (age not reported) and buried October 13, 1857 (from October 1, 1857 to January 1, 1857, Sexton's Report, presented January 7, 1858). John H. Martin’s history of Columbus, Volume 2, p. 101 confirms
Mary and G. W. Dillingham had one child:
1. Mary Kate Cairns Dillingham
Died as infant
From Find A Grave;
This burial at Linwood is not proved, it is speculative! So far, no record of the burial here has been found
Born about 1856 or 1857 (died age 2); definitely born before October 13, 1857. Daughter of George W. Dillingham by his 1st wife, Mary Pomroy Hall, who died 1857.
If the grave is here, it doesn't have an inscribed marker and would be in the same lot with the mother, which is Section 1, Lots 21 & 22 in the city plan, same as Section B, lot 33 in the Autry Historic Linwood Cemetery book.
GEORGE IVES HALL
BIRTH 12 November 1837 • Columbus, Muscogee County, Georgia, USA
DEATH 7 October 1917 • Parahyba, Brazil
Mary Eugenia Montague
BIRTH 7 February 1860 • Berrien County, Michigan, USA
DEATH March 1864
Katherine Ives Hall
BIRTH 1862 • Columbus, Muscogee, Georgia, USA
DEATH 10 July 1941 • Paraíba, Brazil
William Calvin Porter, son of James Denford Porter and Susan Meigs Francis
BIRTH 6 June 1855 • Tuskegee, Macon, Alabama, United States
DEATH 31 January 1939 • Brazil
BIRTH 26 April 1864 • Columbus, Muscogee, Georgia
Fraklin Lambert Hunt
BIRTH 21 December 1862 • West Boylston, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
DEATH 14 October 1933 • Winchester, Middlesex, Massachusetts
WILLIAM FITZGERALD HALL
BIRTH 14 June 1839 • Muscogee County, Georgia, USA
DEATH 12 January 1930 • Polk County, Georgia
Married: 1 June 1861 • Hall, Georgia, USA
Eola V. Marble
BIRTH 7 April 1842 • Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia
DEATH 5 July 1912 Georgia
1. William H. Hall,
2. Fulton Ives Hall,
3. Henry Morton Hall,
4. Arthur Wentworth Hall,
5. Walter D. Hall,
6. Anna Maeble Hall,
7. Frank Ticknor Hall,
8. Hervey Hall
BIRTH 1840 • Georgia, USA
HENRY HARRISON HALL
BIRTH 3 November 1840 • Muscogee County, Georgia, USA
DEATH 26 March 1892 • Cartersville, Bartow, Georgia, USA
Kathleen Gower, daughter of Ebenezer Norton Gower and Frances Hill Garrison
BIRTH 3 January 1845 • Greenville, S. Carolina
DEATH 24 February 1920 • Bexar County, Texas, USA
1. George W. Hall,
2. Harry Hall,
3. Henry Norton Hall,
4. Julia C. Hall,
5. Mary Gower Hall,
6. J. Charles Hall,
7. Francis Vinton Hall.
8. Porter Hall,
9. Pace Henry Hall,
10. Arthur D. Hall,
11. Fred Ives Hall,
12. Julian Croswell Hall
ANNA LOUISE HALL
BIRTH 4 December 1842 • Muscogee County, Georgia, USA
DEATH 12 May 1904 • Columbus, Muscogee County, Georgia
Married: 01 June 1861 • Hall, Hart, Georgia
George Washington Ticknor Dillingham, son of George Washington Dullingham and Lucy Elizabeth Ticknor
BIRTH 28 July 1833 • Columbus, Muscogee, Georgia
DEATH 28 December 1896 • Columbus, Muscogee County, Georgia
1. Charles H. Dillingham,
2. George Walker Dillingham,
3. Lucy Elizabeth Dillingham,
4. Rosa Nelson Dillingham,
5. Kate Dexter Dillingham,
6. Charlotte Dillingham,
7. Robert Clifton Dillingham
CHARLES "CHARLIE" MOSES HALL
BIRTH 1 June 1845 • Columbus, Muscogee, Georgia
DEATH 14 February 1916 • Villa Americana, Brazil
Married: 15 July 1873 • Santa Barbara, São Paulo, Brazil
Mary Elizabeth Miller, daughter of James Williamson Miller and Sarah Boyd Magill
BIRTH 15 August 1855 • Chester County, SC
DEATH 28 October 1917 • São Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Mother of Mary Elizabeth Miller
SARAH BOYD MAGILL MILLER 1824-1889; Chester Co., S. C. to Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sarah Boyd Magill (1824-1889) the daughter of the immigrant from Ireland, James Boyd Magill, (1799-1880).
Sarah Boyd Magill1 (dau. of James Boyd Magill), a school teacher, b. 10 Jan. 1824, Fishing Creek section, Chester Co., S.C.; removed with her husband and children in 1868 to Brazil; d. 28 or 29 Jan. 1889 at Santa Barbara, Sao Paulo, Brazil. She was married on 8 Dec. 1847 to Capt. James Williamson Miller, b. 10 July 1818, Fishing Creek section, Chester Co., S.C.; d. 20 March 1897, Sao Paulo, Brazil, the son of Robert H. Miller and Jane Davis.
OBITUARY, Death of Mrs. Miller, from an old Charlotte, N.C. newspaper clipping: "Died on the 28th of Jan., 1889, at her home in Santa Barbara Province, Sao Paulo, Brazil of heart disease. Mrs. Sarah B. Miller, formerly of Chester, S.C. The deceased was a sister to Hon. James R. Magill of Kershaw Co., S.C. and T. R. Magill of this city. In the winter of 1868 she moved to Brazil, where her husband was successful in his business enterprises and liberally used
his in come on the education of his children, one of whom at the age of 22 years held the responsible position of Vice Consul General of the United States at Rio de Janeiro. Mrs. Miller was educated at a Mora vian school located at Salem in this state (North Carolina) . She was very zealous in the cause of education and was a consistent member of the Presbyterian church from an early age. She leaves a husband and four children, three of whom are in Brazil and one in South Carolina."
Courtesy of Descendants of James Boyd Magill, 1799-1880 page
The American married girls
There were eight girls. Beautiful, educated and above all pious. They spoke fluently Portuguese (the native language) and English (the language of the parents). Because the father was a farmer, they knew how to ride and drive those wagons that carried the family and the produce of the land. They lived in Villa Americana (now the city of Americana), near Campinas, in the state of São Paulo. Their names were Mary, Lucy, Katherine, Sarah, Margareth, Julia, Roberta and Ella (in order of age). Margareth and Julia were twins.
Her grandfathe was called Hervey Hall. He was one of the 2,700 Americans who immigrated to Brazil shortly after the Civil War, which in just four years (from April 1861 to April 1865) caused about 1 million deaths and injuries, financial losses of 15 billion dollars, the destruction of several cities, prolonged emotional wounds and difficult healing, and embarrassment to missionary work. Charles, a son of Hall, married here in Brazil with Mary Elizabeth Miller, also an immigrant, in July 1873. Charles and Mary Elizabeth were the parents of the girls and in-laws of five Presbyterian pastors who became American missionaries in Brazil.
Lucy married in 1900 with Rev. Charles Read Morton, a 35-year-old widower. Katherine married in 1902 with Rev. Alva Hardie, 29. Roberta married in 1906 with the Rev. Robert Dale Daffin, 25 years. Sarah was married in 1909 to the Rev. James Porter Smith, 27, of Recife, PE, son of John Rockwell Smith, the first Presbyterian missionary in Northeast Brazil. And Margareth married in 1915 with Rev. Philip Landes, 32, born in Botucatu, SP, son of the first Presbyterian missionary in Santa Catarina.
Mary never married, Julia married Francis Hodgkiss and Ella married doctor John Calvin Turner.
Because they married missionaries, the American girls became missionaries. Lucy lost her husband, suffering from yellow fever three years after her marriage in 1903. She was a widow and worked for 10 years on the mission. The others worked alongside their husbands for a long time: Katherine, from 1906 to 1945; Roberta, from 1906 to 1929; Sarah, from 1909 to 1930; and Margaret, from 1915 to 1966.
The American girls' husbands were men blessed by God. They founded dozens of churches in Minas Gerais, São Paulo, Goiás and Mato Grosso. Alva Hardie (of Katherine) built twenty temples in 45 years of ministry in Brazil and founded the newspaper The Evangelist (1912). Philip Landes (Margareth) wrote a biography of Ashbel G. Simonton. James Porter Smith (of Sarah) was professor of the Seminary of Campinas from 1918 to 1930 and wrote the book An Open Door in Brazil (1925).
As almost always happens, Americana's girls survived their husbands. Lucy died in 1956; Katherine, in 1968; Roberta, in 1976; Sarah, in 1973; and Margareth in 1979.
Many of their descendants were or are pastors in the United States or missionaries in several countries (Mozambique, Nigeria, China, etc.). At least one of them works in Brazil. Simone Gordon McKinnon, Roberta Hall Daffin's great-granddaughter, and her husband, Matthew McKinnon, work with street children in São Paulo.
Katherine, the third daughter of the farmer Charles Hall, published in 1964 a succulent biography of the husband (Alva Hardie), nine years after its death, under the title On Eagles' Wings. And Carolyn Smith Ward, granddaughter of the same Charles Hall, published in 1979 the history of the families Miller and Hall, titled An American-Brazilian Odyssey (152 pages).
The oldest surviving descendants of American married girls are: Carolyn Smith Ward, 89, daughter of Sarah Hall and James Smith; Pauline Landes Browne, 88, and Phillip Harper Landes, 78, sons of Margaret Hall and Philip Landes; Helen Hardie Smith, 86, and Charles Hardie, 83, sons of Katherine Hall and Alva Hardie; and Sidney Daffin, 82, son of Roberta Hall and Robert Daffin. All six live in the United States.
The hive of missionary wives located in the American region in the early 20th century did not benefit only the pastors named above. Several other Presbyterian, Methodist, and Baptist missionaries who came single from the United States to Brazil there found companions in life and ministry. The colony was formed more or less equally from Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian families.
1. MARY DILLINGHAM HALL
BIRTH 7 February 1875 • Brazil
2. LUCY MAGILL HALL
BIRTH 6 November 1877 • Brazil
DEATH 3 Ssptember 1956 • Sanford, Lee, North Carolina
Rev. CHARLES REED MORTON Sr.
BIRTH 20 May 1865 • Charlotte County, Virginia
DEATH 11 April 1903 • BRAZIL FROM YELLOW FEVER
His first wife was Mary Connell Thompson . They were married 1895 in Virginia. She died in Virginia at age 23 in 1898.
Charles and Mary would have one child:
1. Edna Watkins Morton
BIRTH 28 October 1896 • Minas Gerais, Brazil
DEATH 25 May 1980 • Brownsburg, Rockbridge County, Virginia
Married: 10 October 1922 • Spotsylvania Co., Virginia
Madison McClung Sterrett Sr.
BIRTH 1 October 1899 • Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
DEATH 19 March 1975 • Raphine, Rockbridge, Virginia, USA
Edna and Madison would have two children:
1. Mary Thompson Sterrett
2. Madison McClung Sterrett Jr
Lucy and Charles would have two children:
1. Elizabeth Hall Morton
BIRTH 26 JUL 1901 • Santa Barbara, São Paulo, Brazil
DEATH 1 OCT 1984 • High Point, Guilford, North Carolina
BIRTH 29 JUL 1900 • Alamance, North Carolina
DEATH 9 APR 1984 • High Point, Guilford, North Carolina
Elizabeth and Marion have two son:
1. Marion Julian Murray Jr.
2. Charles Murray
2. Charles Reed Morton Jr.
BIRTH 19 June 1903 • Sao Paulo, Brazil
DEATH 8 October 1912 • Spotsylvania County, Virginia
Lexington, VA News-Gazette dated March 26, 1975:
Madison McClung Sterrett, 75, prominent Rockbridge farmer and civic leader, died last Wednesday at his home near Brownsburg.
A descendant of Archibald Alexander, one of the early settlers of Rockbridge County, Mr. Sterrett was born in Rockbridge Oct. 1, 1899 and was the son of the late Madison McClung Sterrett and Laura Smith Sterrett.
At the time of his death he was the senior partner of the M.M. Sterrett and Son Dairy Farm, one of the largest dairy operations in the county.
In 1927 Mr. Sterrett purchased the farm near Brownsburg which had been part of the extensive acerage of his great-grandfather, Samuel Willson. Willson had made major additions to the house on the property, which according to family records was built in 1746 and which was known in earlier years as Mulberry Grove.
In the depression years of the 1930s, while the family continued to operate a farm, Mr. Sterrett was associated for a period with the Civilian Conservation Corps in beautification work along the Skyline Drive.
He converted his general farming operation into a dairy farm in 1947.
Mr. Sterrett's community service included a period of eight years, from 1952 to 1960, as trustee from Walkers Creek District on the Rockbridge County School Board.
He was a member of the Lexington advisory board of the First National Exchange Bank and of the predecessor board of the Peoples National Bank of Lexington from 1953 to 1973.
Mr. Sterrett had served as chairman of the board of deacons of New Providence Presbyterian Church, had been a past president of the Brownsburg Ruritan Club, and had been a member for 12 years of the board of Rockbridge Farmers Cooperative.
He was elected in 1946 a director from Walkers Creek on the board of the Rockbridge Mutual Fire Insurance Co. and served on the board until his retirement in March 1974. He had been a director of the Rockbridge Artifical Breeding Association and a member of the Rockbridge-Alleghany Dairy Herd Improvement Association.
He is survived by his wife, Edna Morton Sterrett; a son, Madison McClung Sterrett Jr. of Brownsburg; a daughter, Mrs. Bruce Alexander Lipscomb of Fairfield; two sisters, Mrs. John K. Davidson of Lexington and Mrs. Alden S. Anderson of Staunton; and four grandchildren.
The Rev. David Coblentz conducted a funeral service Friday at 11 a.m. in New Providence Presbyterian Church cemetery.
Rev. Charles Read Morton - Missionary in the Triângulo Mineiro and in Casa Branca
Charles Morton was born on May 20, 1865 in Compostella, Charlotte County, in Virginia. He studied at the Virginia Military Institute in Lex-ington and at the Seminary Theolo-
gical Union, annexed to the Ham-pden- Sydney College, in the same state, where it was formed in 1894, having been a colleague of the Rev. Carlyle R. Womeldorf. It was ordained by the Presbytery of Roanoke in June 1894. He arrived in Brazil in August 1895, accompanied by his young wife of twenty-one, Mary Thompson Mor-ton. They initially worked in Lavras. In December 1895, they went to Araguari, a field that had been herded by the Rev. Frank Cowan, who died in 1894. In that city there was a school run by the widow missionary, Kate Bias Cowan, who later went to Santa Luzia de Goiás (now Luziânia).
Morton traveled extensively through the Minas Triangle, receiving many people for profes-
sions in various places. It revived the itinerant evangelistic tradition of the pioneer John Boyle and was the first to preach in Patos de Minas, Carmo do Paranaíba, Arapuá and Rio Paranaíba, besides several points in Goiás. In one of his preaching in the Córrego da
Onça, near Bagagem (South Star), got to know a man called David de Melo, who had been reading the Bible and had been evangelized by a Rev. Boyle parishioner. Morton went to the house of David, spent three days reading and explaining the Scriptures, and communion of the host's church, his wife Maria Isabel and the three daughters of the presence of neighbors invited to the occasion. David faced many difficulties in parental resistance, which helped to influence his married, Manoel de Melo, who had also been reading the Bible and came to convert, having set in a country estate near Mount Carmel. The couple was greeted by pro-
fession of faith by the Rev. Morton on July 15, 1898 and Manoel became a mainstay of the gospel in that region. Later, the other five Melo brothers also converted with their families, contributing to the emergence of Presbyterian churches in Douradoquara, Água Limpa,Monte Carmelo, Abbey of the Dourados and Perdizes. Maria de Melo Chaves, the most
old woman of Manoel de Melo, tells this inspiring story in the book Bandeirantes da Fé,
published in 1947. His brother Zaqueu de Melo, born in Monte Carmelo in 1914, was a Pres-byterian pastor, state deputy and professor for many years in the city of Londrina Paraná, where he founded in 1945 the Philadelphia Institute, current University Center Phila-delphia (UNIFIL), linked to the Presbyterian Church of Londrina.
With his health shaken, Morton's wife went to Fredericksburg, Virginia, in 1898,passing away a few days after arriving and leaving a little girl. After the wife's death, Morton spent a year in Richmond, doing postgraduate studies at the Seminary Union, and returned to Brazil.
In 1900, he married Lucy Hall, daughter of a couple of American immigrants residing in Vila Americana. Lucy was born in Brazil and studied with the missionaries in Campinas and Lavras. Four of her sisters also married missionaries and a cousin, Katherine, was the wife of Rev. William Calvin Porter. The Morton couple had a daughter, Elizabeth Margaret Morton, and a son who was born on June 19, 1903, after the death of his father, and received his name.
From Araguari, Morton moved to White House, State of São Paulo, in 1901. He was affected by yellow fever and died in an isolation hospital on 5 April. 1903. He was the last of the missionaries who had been victimized by this disease, by George W. Thompson, John W. Dabney, Edward Lane and Edgar M. Pinkerton. Morton was supported by the Presbyterian Church of Durham, North Carolina, as its pastor missionary. Lucy Morton worked for many years with the Mission West in Araguari, Barretos and other places (1903-1908, 1924-1930. On September 25, 1907, the Revista of the National Missions reported that Lucy had donated to the Church of Araguari a harmonium which she herself played in the services.
According to some authors, the death of the missionary was surrounded by a certain mystery When Morton was affected by yellow fever, the police chief, the enemy of evangelicals, determined his removal to the Holy House, where he died shortly yhereafter. Rev. James R. Woodson reported that, many years after Morton's death, the news broke that that an old black man confessed to having given him a poison remedy, the 3rd.
▪ Lessa, Annaes , 485, 644s, 653, 660s.
▪ Ferreira, History of IPB , I: 506-508; II: 34, 366.
▪ Charlotte Kemper, "Rev. CR Morton, " The Missionary (June 1903), 256s.
▪ A General Catalog of Union Theological Seminary in Virginia, 1807-1924 .
▪ Keys, Bandeirantes da Fé, 27-31, 61-65, 69s, 187. See Hahn, Protestant Cult in the
Brazil , 254-258.
▪ Bear, Mission to Brazil , 27s.
▪ Silva e Silva, Presbyterian Church of Araguari , 52-55.
▪ Ferreira, Little History of the West Mission , 40s
3. KATHERINE EUGENIA HALL
BIRTH 15 September 1879 • Villa Americana, Sao Paulo, Brazil
DEATH 29 October 1968 • Miami, Miami-Dade County, Florida
Married: 14 May 1902 • Villa Americana, Brazil
Rev. AlVA FINLEY HARDIE Jr.
Talladega County, Alabama, USA
DEATH October 17 1955 • Miami, Dade County, Florida, USA
The Miami News, Wed. Oct. 23, 1986, Page 28
Mrs. Katherine H., 89, of 7229 SW 54 Ave. Oct 21st. She came more than 15 years ago from Brazil, and was a retired missionary of the Presbyterian U>S> Church and a member of the Riviera Prsbyterian Church. Survived by 2 daughters, Mrs. William H. Smith, Jr. and Mrs. Lucita Wait both of Miami; 2 sons, Hugh M. of Ft. Worth, Tex., Charles A. of Montreat, N.C.; 5 sisters ncluding Mrs. John C. Turner of Miami. One brother; 6 grandchildren and one great granddaughter. Repose noon to 3 PM. Wed. at Van Orsdal Coral Gables Chapel, with private graveside services. Miami Memorial. Memorial services' 8 PM Thurs.. Oct 24th at the Riviera Presbyterian Church. he family requests no flowers and suggest donations to the Board of World Missions, Boc 330 Nashville, Tenn.
Katherine and Alva would have four children:
Lucita "Lucy" Hall Hardie
BIRTH 19 April 1903 • Villa Americana, Sao Paulo, Brazil
DEATH 21 February 1995 • Miami, Dade County Florida
Married: 9 June 1927 • Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, USA
Charles Edmund Wait Jr, son of Charles Edmond Wait Sr. and Harriett Newell "Hallie" Morrison
BIRTH 1 May 1896 • Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
DEATH 4 March 1959 • Dade County, Florida, USA
Asheville Citizen Times, Wed. Feb 22, 1995 Page 25
LUCITA H. WAIT
Black Mountain -- Lucita Hardie Wait, 91 of Miami, Fla. died Tuesday, Feb. 21,1995, in Highland Farms Health Center.
A native of Brazil, she grew up there where her parents , the Rev. Dr. Alva and Katherine Hardie were missionaries of the Presbyterian Church U>S>A> She was the wife of Charles E. Wait, who died in 1958. She was executive secretary for the International Palm Society which named a palm for her. She was a charter member of Fairchild Tropical Gardens of Miami and wrote a book on the history of the first 10 years of the gardens. She also directed the Palm Society seed bank.
She is survived by her sister, Helen H. Smith of Miami, Fla.: brother-in-law, William H. Smith of Miami, Fla.;brother, Charles A. Hardie of Montreat.
A memorial service will be set later and held at First Presbyterian Church of Miami, Fla.
Penland Funeral Home ia in charge of arrangements.
Esther Hall Hardie
BIRTH 16 February 1905 • Sao Joao del Rey, Brazil
DEATH 27 January 1906 • Villa Americana, Sao Paulo, Brazil (Died Young)
3. Hugh Melvin Hardie
BIRTH 28 April 1906 • Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
DEATH 05 November 1984 • Fort Worth, Johnson, Texas, USA
Married: 9 February 1932 • Dallas, Texas, USA
Corinne Mallory, daughter of Feilding Udolphus Mallory and Phylinda Alice Stubbs
BIRTH 31 October 1903 • Terrell, Kaufman, Texas, USA
DEATH 05 October 1993 • Fort Worth, Tarrant, Texas
4. Elizabeth Helen Hardie
BIRTH 11 October 1918 • Americana, Sao Paulo, Brazil
DEATH 2004 • Winter Park, Orange, Florida, USA
Married: 13 February 1943 • Miami, Miami-Dade, Florida, USA
William Harrison Smith Jr, son of William Harrison Smith Se. and Rose Lucy Haller
BIRTH 27 October 1917 • Canal Zone, Panama
DEATH 24 January 2003 • Winter Park, Orange, Florida, USA
Elizabeth and William would have three sons:
1. David Smith
2. Stuart Smith
3. Peter Smith
The Orlando Sentinel. Wed. Feb. 12, 2003 Page B6
84, went to be with the Lord on January 24, 2003. Born Oct. 27, 1918, he lived most of his life in Miami, FL. where he ran Florida Filters, Inc. from 1954 to 1983. He moved to Winter Park Towers Presbyterian Retirement Community in 1998. He is survived by his loving wife of 60 years, Helen Hardie; sons, Peter, Stuart and David; and sisters, Mabelle Weatherhead and Jeane Johnson; as w ell as 5 grandchildren and a great grandson. An avid pilot and a kind, loving and generous man, he will be missed by his extended family and many friends. A memorial Service for William Harrison Smith, Jr. in celebration of his life and in thanksgiving to God Our Lord, the giver of life and love, will be given by his family at Winter park Presbyterian Church, Winter park, FL on Saturday, February 15 at 1 PM. Family Funeral Care, Oviedo, FL
Rev. Alva Hardie
Missionary in São Paulo and Minas Gerais
Rev. Alva Hardie was the last Presbyterian missionary to arrive in Brazil in the 19th century.
He was a native of Alpine, Alabama, where he was born on September 26, 1873. His parents
were Alva Finley Hardie and Elizabeth Darby Mallory. When Alva was two years old, family moved to Dallas, Texas, where he did primary and secondary education and then worked in the trade. Feeling the ministerial vocation, he attended Austin College, in Sher-man, where he obtained his baccalaureate in letters (BA) in 1898, and studied theology at Southwest Presbyterian University in Clarksville, Tennessee, graduating in May 1900. He was or-dained by the Dallas Presbytery on July 3, 1900 and soon afterwards embarked in New York to Brazil, arriving in Rio de August 27 of the same year.
He initially worked in the East Mission area while learning the language. It was in Lavras, Minas Gerais, for a period of one year. She went to take care of the field of São João Del King on September 26, 1901, associating for over a year with Rev. Baldomero Garcia in the evangelization of that region. Retired from Rev. Baldomero, Hardie continued for another four years in São João Del Rei. At that time, priests sent boys to stone the house of wor-ship; the leader of these boys was the future Rev. Paschoal Luiz Pitta.
Hardie married on May 14, 1902 with Kate Eugenia Hall, born in 1879, daughter of the couple Charles and Mary Hall, American immigrants residing in Vila Americana, Sao Paulo. Kate, who was the cousin of Katherine Ives Hall, the wife of Rev. William Ca-lvin Porter had been a faculty member of the American College of Natal for two years. At the end of that year, Hardie participated with other colleagues from the organization of the Churches of Saint João Nepomuceno (05-11-1902) and São João Del Rei (07-11-1902). It was
Presbytery of Mines in 1904.
In 1905, the Western Mission decided to reopen the International College in Campinas and
the Rev. Hardie as a director, a position he held for two years. At the end of that year, he was one of the signatories of the proposed division of the Southern Mission, which occu-rred the following year, arising the Western Mission and the Eastern Mission. Was the intermediary in the sale of properties from the International College to the Presbyterian Church of Brazil, to host the Seminar Presbyterian. The Seminar needs to leave São Paulo and the Assembly is meeting. General of the Presbyterian Church in that capital, Rev. Hardie, on behalf of the Foreign Missions of Nashville, sold the farmhouse and the three furnished buildings to the Presbyterian Synod for the small amount of fifteen thousand reis. Finished the deal, Hardie closed the college and helped set up the seminar in Cam-pinas. The reopening of classes occurred on February 1, 1907, with the presence of the directors Revs. Hardie, Laudelino de Oliveira Lima and Herculano de Gouvêa and the students Aníbal Nora, Alberto Zanon, João Pereira Garcia and Samuel Barbosa. In the same year, Hardie left for United States on vacation.
When he returned in 1908, the Presbytery of Minas decided to open work in Descal-vado,and sent Rev. Hardie to take care of this field, which also included the cities of Limeira, Araras, Leme and Porto Ferreira. He built temples in Descalvado, Limeira and Araras. The prosperity generated by coffee attracted many people to that region. In 1913, seeing the need for a newspaper dedicated exclusively to the gospel propaganda, founded The Evangelist , which he maintained for almost all of of his missionary activity (there was a lapse of a few years). The newspaper even had a of 12,000 copies, and is distributed free of charge throughout Brazil. Even other places where he was pastor, the Rev. Hardie wrote it, sending it to Descalvado, where the Mr. Sebastião Lacerda printed it in a typography bought for this purpose and distributed it. In 1924, Rev. Hardie went on vacation to the United States and received the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity (DD) of his alma mater, Austin College.
At the end of 1924, Dr. Hardie moved to Patrocínio, in the Triângulo Mineiro, in the com-pany of his wife Kate and his sons Elizabeth Helen and Charles, starting the of his long ministry in Brazil. He had already visited this city in 1923, company of colleagues Robert Daffin and Edward Epes Lane. This field Presbytery of Mines, having been pastored by Rev. Alberto Zanon, into the hands of Mission West. In Patrocínio, the missionary acquired a house well located in the center of city, having next to a deposit that was adapted to be the room of worship. The temple was inaugurated four years later in 1929. At the time there were only a few small groups of believers in Patrocínio, Carmo do Paranaíba, Patos de Minas and Estrela do Sul. Hardie greatly expanded the work, often amid great opposition and bitter persecution. Once, while running the service in Rio Paranaíba, a bomb exploded
on the roof, shaking the whole building. People were very frightened and began to but the missionary calmed the group and quietly continued the service.
Rev. Hardie reactivated the churches of Paracatu and Estrela do Sul, which had almost extinguished for lack of assistance, and opened works in Patos de Minas, João Pinheiro, Carmo do Paranaíba, Rio Paranaíba, Arapuá, Ibiá, Araxá, Monte Carmelo, Douradoquara and other locations. He traveled throughout the region riding the mule "America" and later on board of a Ford T model. He used the "magic lantern" very successfully, a great novelty in time, a slide projector that attracted many people to the preaching of the gospel. With the arrival of Rev. James R. Woodson in 1926, the camp was divided between the two workers. Hardie and Woodson paved the way for the great educational held in Patro-cínio and extends to the present.
Initially, in February 1926, a course was set up to prepare evangelists laity and Sunday school teachers. Then, in 1928, the Patrocínio Colégio appeared. Finally, in 1933, Rev. Edward E. Lane founded the Biblical Institute that today takes its name. At Patrocínio Colégio, the missionaries had the collaboration of the teacher Maria of Melo, future author of the book Bandeirantes da Fé , who came to marry another collaborator of the school, Professor Carlos Chaves. Carlos was brother of the well-known Rev. Oscar Chaves (1912-1991), ordained in 1943, who pastored the Presbyterian Santo André, in São Paulo, from 1952 to 1986.
After seven years of fruitful ministry in Patrocínio, Alva Hardie, after a year of vacation in the United States, settled in Uberlândia for a period of equal duration and great results (1932 to 1939). He built a spacious temple and laid the foundations of local Presbyterian church, organized on August 14, 1946, which would in turn give many other churches. There were congregations in Santa Rita, Monte Alegre, Ituiutaba, Tupaciguara and Prata. The last period of his ministry in Brazil was spent in Araxá, where built another temple and greatly developed the evangelical work. Over the his ministry, Rev. Hardie built more than twenty Presbyterian temples. Alva Hardie was endowed with a strong and attractive personality. He made his decisions in a positive and firm, and lived a methodical and disciplined life. His devoted wife led the with order and serenity. There were certain times for meals, for teaching children, to visit the believers and interested people and for all the activities of the day.
Dr. Hardie had a cheerful spirit and preached the gospel with great enthusiasm. The his sermons, full of good illustrations, were remembered for many years by his listeners. He loved the Brazilian people with his heart and was greatly esteemed. During many years as a member of the old Presbytery of Minas Gerais at the insistence of his national author-ities. He was the only missionary to be part of that presbytery. In many photos of the of the time, he was wearing a white suit, standing out from Brazilian colleagues wearing dark. The national church manifested its recognition by electing the moderator of the General Assembly in 1922, in Rio de Janeiro. He was the last American to Function. He was treas-urer of the "West Brazil Mission" for many years and showed management of mission properties. Hardie was the missionary who served for mission to Brazil. He has left many spiritual heirs who have church and society to the present. One of many examples is that of D. Ita Edi Ribeiro Coelho, who was baptized by the missionary on May 17, 1925, seven days Carmo do Paranaíba. She is the wife of the priest Abílio da Silva Coelho, who Presbyterian Church of Brazil.
After 45 years of service in Brazil, Rev. Hardie retired in 1945 and returned to his home country, moving to Daytona Beach, Florida. He was received by the Presbytery of St. Johns on April 18 and the following year gave pastoral assistance to the Edison Chapel in Miami. He used to spend the summer in Montreat, North Carolina, where he missionaries who came on vacation from Brazil and the new missionaries who they went to the field. He often exclaimed, "How I would like to be in Brazil preaching the Gospel!". I always wrote to missionaries and friends in Brazil, intimate contact with work. The valiant worker died on October 17, 1955 in the home of her daughter in Miami. Dona Kate Hall Hardie wrote the book On Eagles' Wings: Brazilian Mission, 1900-1945 (On Wings of Eagles: Mission in Brazil, 1900-1945), based on the Spouse's Journal and published in 1964. The Hardie couple had four children, two men and two women: Lucita Hall, Hugh Melvin, Elizabeth Helen and Charles Alva. Lucita was named after his aunt Lucy Hall, wife of Rev. Charles Morton.
• Lessa, Annaes , 600.
• Ferreira, History of IPB , I: 488, 550; II: 76, 116, 132, 154, 201, 247-49, 290, 356, 366,
• Alva Hardie. Report of the Spiritual and Financial Movement of the Missionary Field .
• "Rev. Alva Hardie, " The Puritan (28-02-1931), 3.
• RD Daffin, "Rev. Dr. Alva Hardie, " The Puritan (10-01-1956), 3.
• "Dr. Alva Hardie, " The Puritan (10 and 25-02-1956), 2.
• "Dr. Alva Hardie ", typed manuscript, Eduardo Lane Bible Institute.
• Ministerial Directory, PCUS (1861-1950) , 279.
• Chaves, Bandeirantes da Fé , 137-146.
• Bear, Mission to Brazil , 223.
• Divino José de Oliveira. Sponsorship . Goiânia, 1983.
• Hahn, Protestant Cult in Brazil , 268-271.
• Ferreira, Little History of the West Mission , 44-48
4. SARAH MILLER HALL
BIRTH 4 OCT 1881 • Santa Barbara, Sao Paulo, Brazil
DEATH 12 NOV 1973 • Charlotte, Mecklenburg, NC
JAMES PORTER SMITH, son of Rev. John Rockwell Smith and Sarah Miller
BIRTH 19 AUGUST 1882 • Brazil
DEATH 31 JULY 1940 • Richmond County, Virginia,
James Porter Smith, the son of Rev. John Rockwell Smith and Sarah Miller, was born in Recife on August 19, 1882, after studying at Union Semi-nary in Richmond, returned to Brazil in 1909. In the same year, he married Sadie Miller Hall, from Vila Americana, and in 1910 was ordained in Sorocaba. He pastored several churches in the Presbytery of São Paulo and taught at the Campinas Seminary from 1918 to 1930, succeeding his parent. He wrote the book An Open Door in Brazil (1925), an account of the missionary work of the South-ern Church in Brazilian lands. Returning to the United States, he became professor of theology at Union Seminary. He was the last missionary from the Western Mission to leave the Campinas region. He died in Richmond on July 31, 1940.
Sarah and James had four children
1. Rockwell Hall Smith
2. James Warfield Smith
3. Caroline Miller Smith
4. Rev. Charles Emerson Smith
5. MARGARETH BOOKWALTER HALL
6. JULIA MONTAGUE HALL
7. ROBERTA THERESA HALL
Roberta Theresa Hall was born in Villa Ameri-cana, Santa Barbara, Sao Paulo, Brazil. She was the daughter of Charles Moses Hall and Mary Eliz-abeth Miller. She married Robert Dale Daffin, Jr in 1906 in Brazil. They were both Presbyterian missionaries. They retired to the United States and eventually settled in Panama City, Florida.
Robert Dale Daffin, DD, was the son of Robert Dale Daffin and Carrie Bell Alderman. He was born in Marianna, Florida. He became a Presbyterian mis-sionary in Brazil and while there met and married Roberta Theresa Hall. They had six children and returned to the United States after twenty-five years of missionary service in 1929. He continued to preach at small churches in Mississippi, Louis-iana and Florida and retiring in Panama City, Florida.
ROBERT and ROBERTA HAD SIX CHILDREN
Carrie Alderman Daffin was born 15 June, 1907 in Brazil, the oldest daughter of Robert Dale Daffin and Roberta Theresa Hall. She married Milton Lafayette Daugherty in 1930 in Ripley, Mississippi. She and her husband became missionaries in Brazil, just as her parents had been.
Charles Hall Daffin was born in Villa Americana, Sao Paulo, Brazil, the son of Presbyterian mis-sionaries. His father was Robert Dale Daffin and his mother, born in Brazil, the daughter of Ame-ricans who came to Brazil after the Civil War in the United States. Charles came to the United States at the age of sixteen to attend Palmer College in De-Funiak Springs, Florida. He attended Davidson College and graduated from Sterling College. He then attended and graduated from the University of Tennessee School of Medicine. He interned in Jacksonville, Florida and served his country in WWII in both the Pacific and European theaters. He returned to practice medicine in Panama City, Florida. He was one of the founding doctors of Bay Medical Center and was a member of the Kiwanis Club.
Dorothy Ann LaRue Daffin Randall was born June 27, 1916 on Wolf Island, Ken-tucky, an island in the Mississippi River.
She was the daughter of William Ivan LaRue and Linnie Leigh Gray LaRue. Her early childhood was spent on Wolf Island, Kentucky, and the "Medley Farm" at Wolf Island, Missouri, and in Cairo, Illinois, and Columbus, Kentucky. She completed grade school and high school in Clarksdale, Mississippi. Dorothy attended the Baptist Hospital School of Nursing and the Nurse Anesthetist School at the Univer-sity of Tennessee, both in Memphis, Tennessee. In Memphis, she met and married Charles Hall Daffin. In 1992, Dorothy became a widow after fifty‐three years of marriage. Dorothy married William "Bill" Randall in 1996. Dorothy was a life‐long member of the Episcopal Church. She was a charter member and past Regent of the St. Andrew Bay DAR.
Robert Dale Daffin III
BIRTH 17 September 1909 • Itu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
DEATH September 1984 • Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, United States of America
Myrtle M. Cook
BIRTH 17 JulyL 1902 • Horseheads, Chemung, New York, USA
DEATH 26 August 2000 • Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia
Grace Ives Daffin
was born in Itapetiniga, Sao Paulo, Brazil, the daughter of Robert Dale Daffin, Jr and Roberta Theresa Hall, Presbyterian missionaries. She came to the United States in 1929 with her family. She received a BA from Maryville College and in 1942 a degree in Library Science at Louisiana State University. During WWII she used her knowledge of Portuguese as a Censor in Miami. After the war she worked at the Miami-Dade County Public Library until she retired in 1981.
Sidney Ely Daffin, MD,
91, died at home Fri, Dec 6, 2013. He was born the youngest of 6 children in Sao Sebastiao do Paraiso, Brazil, on Jan 14, 1922, to Rev. Robert Dale Jr. and Roberta Hall Daffin, who were serving the Lord as missionaries in that country. Sidney attended school in Ripley, MS and graduated from McCallie Preparatory School in Chattanooga, TN in 1937. He continued his studies at Davidson College in Davidson, NC, where his fondest memories were of playing baseball for the Wildcats! Deciding to further his education in the field of medicine, he was admitted to the University of Tennessee College of Medicine in Memphis, TN. He served in the US Army Medical Corps from 1942-49 with his last assignment being in Sendai, Japan. After his discharge from the Army, Dr. Daffin accepted a position in the OB-OGYN Residency Program at Tampa General Hospital in Tampa, FL. In 1950, he came to Panama City, FL to open his practice in family medicine. Over the next 25 years, he dedi-cated himself to serving his patients and the com-munity. After closing his practice downtown, he worked in the General Medical Clinic at TAFB for 10 years. He finished his medical career as director of Washington County Public Health. Dr. Daffin was an active member of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, where he served as an Elder; a Sunday School teacher; and in many other capacities.
Sidney is survived by his loving wife of 66 years, Sara Solomon Daffin; his children, Diana "Cissy" Senechal (Peter) of Niceville, FL, Robert "Robbie" Dale Daffin IV (Mary Kathryn) of Panama City, FL, Suki Daffin (Bill Dobbs) of Tallahassee, FL; his grandchildren, Major James Senechal MD (Kathryne) of Las Vegas, NV, Capt. Sara Senechal Walker (Scott) of Homestead, FL, Marisa Dale Garrison of Jasper, AL; his great-granddaughters McKenna and Scarlett Garrison of Jasper, AL; and a host of nieces, nephews, and cou-sins. He was predeceased by his parents; 2 brothers; and 3 sisters.
Visitation will be from 5-7 pm Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at Wilson Funeral Home, 214 Airport Road. A cele-bration of his life will be at 10 am Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church with burial to follow at Greenwood Cemetery.
Panama City News Herald, Sun, Dec 8, 2013
8. ELLA HALL
LUCY CAIRNS HALL
BIRTH 3 April 1848 • Columbus, Muscogee, Georgia
DEATH 15 March 1912 • Jacksonville, Duval, Florida
Married: 10 June 1873 • San Barbara, Brazil
Benjamin Cunningham Yancey
BIRTH 30 July 1836 • Greenville, Greenville County, South Carolina
DEATH 17 March 1909 • Umatilla, Lake County, Florida
1. William Lowndes Yancey, 2. George Earle Yancey, 3. Hervey Hall Yancey, 4. Goodloe Dupree Yancey, 5. Benjamin Cudworth Yancey Jr. 6. Lucy Dillingham Yancey, 7. Theodora Yancey, 8. Frederick Dalton Yancey.
SARAH SOPHIA MONTAGUE HALL
BIRTH March 1850 • Muscogee County, Georgia, USA
DEATH 10 January 1851 • Muscogee County, Georgia, USA Died Young
JULIA BRICE HALL