Gen. James Patton Anderson Camp 1599
Celebrating 30 Years 1992 - 2022
HUGH BRADLEY - THE PATRIARCH
CAPTAIN PATRICK HUGH BRADLEY - The Immigrant
Frank White had a liking for the stout young lad and made him his fireman; thus it happened that Hugh
Bradley "fired" the first engine that ever was run on that road. He stayed at this work until May, 1853, then quit and came north, stopped two weeks in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, went on to Johnstown and remained there a few weeks more. On leaving Johnstown he went by the old Portage railroad to Altoona and from there by the Pennsyvauia main line to Philadelphia. Soon afterward he went to Phoenixville, Chester county, and found work there as puddler in the iron works, which became his first regular occupation in life. At the end of six months he left Phoenixville and went to Safe Harbor, Lancaster county, and from there back to Johnstown, where he has lived since August, 1854, more than half a century.
When he came to live in Johnstown Captain Bradley was a little more than twenty years old. He was born
March 4, 1834. As a boy he was given little opportunity to attend school, but what he lost in that way he more than made up in learning by actual experience in travel and observation of men. Having settled at Johnstown he at once found employnent as puddler in the old mill of the Cambria Iron Company, and worked there constantly until August, 1892, a period of nearly forty years. He then was given the position of watchman and janitor in the general office of the Cambria Steel Company, which he held until May, 1905, and then resigned at the urgent request of his sons. Captain Bradley was in the service of the Cambria Iron Company and its successor, the Cambria Steel Company, more than fifty years, with but one or two events to break that remarkable period of employment.
The first of these intervals came in 1861, at the outbreak of the Civil war, when President Lincoln called for seventy-five thousand volunteers for three months "to suppress treasonable rebellion." At that call, on the 18th of April, he enlisted in Captain John Linton's company of the Third Pennsvlvania Volunteer Infantry, Colonel Minier commanding. On the organization of the company he was elected and soon afterward was commissioned first lieutenant. His service with the regiment was chiefly in the vicinity of Falling Water and Winchester, Virginia, where occasional skirmishes were had with the enemy. At the expiration of the term of enlistment Lieutenant Bradley would have re-enlisted for three years, but the objections of his good wife prevailed and kept him at home Avith her and their children. However, during the latter part of the war when the territory of Pennsylvania was seriously threatened with still another Confederate invasion, he led a company of volunteers to resist the invaders. His company was not regularly mustered into either the state or government service, but it was there and ready for action. Previous to the war Captain Bradley was for five years a private in the militia organization known as the Home Guards,
The second period of absence from work came in June, 1899, when Captain Bradley returned to Ireland and visited his old boyhood home for the first time in fifty years. His parents were not there then and few indeed of the friends of early days. He found relatives who treated him with the utmost kindness, but even they were almost strangers. In 1904 he attended the National Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic in San Francisco, California. In politics he always has been a firm Democrat, but never sought public ofice.
Hugh Bradley has been married three times. His first wife, whom he married November 16, 1858, was Mary Riley, of New Florence, Pennsylvania, by whom he had seven children. She died February 23, 1880. His second wife was Mary Bradley, daughter of John Bradley, of Allegheny township, Cambria county. She died after two and a half years of married life. His third wife was Katherine Blatte, of Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania, whom he married September 24, 1885. She was a daughter of Jerome and Susan (Mouse) Blatte. Jerome Blatte was born in Bavaria, Germany, and his wife Susan near Frankfort, Germany. He was a millwright by trade, although his chief occupation was farming. He died March 12, 1903, but his widow still lives on the farm six miles above Hollidaysburg with her son — Frank Blatte — and her two daughters — Melinda and Jenny Blatte. Her four other children are Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Tierney, of Hollidaysburg; Mary, wife of William Brown, of Lily, Pennsylvania; Susan, wife of William Crist of Braddock, Pennsylvania, and Margaret, who now is in the convent at Braddock.
Children of Captain Hugh and Mary (Riley) Bradley: 1. Edward Riley, born 1859, married Agnes Curry, of Chicago. Mr. Bradley lives in Chicago, where he is the proprietor of the Del Prado Hotel, and owns a blooded stock farm in the Blue Grass region of Kentucky. He recently sold Accountant, a fast runner, for forty-five thousand dollars. 2. James Francis, died in infancy. 3. Mary E., born 1863, married (first) Byron Gibbons; married (second) Robert Scanlon. 4. John Roger, born 1866, a broker in New York city, an extensive traveler, is known as one of the six great hunters of the world's big game. He has hunted in the Rockies, Alaska. Mexico, South Africa, Siberia, China, and has the finest collection of heads of horned animals in the world. He is now a resident of New York City, and is a contributor to the columns of The Illustrated Outdoor News and other sporting magazines. 5. Hugh Patrick, born 1868, died aged eight years. 6. Peter Garvey, born 1870, a machinist now living in Boston, Massachusetts. 7. Katherine, wife of Edward W.
Bailev, of Johnstown.
Pages 262 - 263 HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.
It was in the year 1851 that Captain Hugh Bradley, then a stout boy of seventeen years, left the home at the countryside in old county Derry. Ireland, and took a ship for America. In good time he landed safe at New Orleans, Louisiana, from which city he started up the Mississippi on a northbound steamer with the purpose to make his way to Minnesota Territory, where he had relatives living at St. Paul, but the boat in which he took passage "snagged" near Memphis, Tennessee, and his trip came to a sudden end, as did his own plans as well, and he at once set at work in that locality. For a year or so Hugh lived with a farmer near Memphis and proved to be a handy man on the place, for he was a farmer bred and born with a willing heart and a pair of strong arms, and he could do a man's work, although he was only a boy. At the end of a year he went to the river and worked on the docks as a stevedore, passing bales of cotton from the wharves to the boats. While there he happened by chance to meet one Frank White, a locomotive engineer and probably the first man to "pull a throttle" on the first bit of track of the old Memphis & Charlestown railroad, thirty miles of which were just completed, from Memphis to a town called Moscow.
Portrait from Find A Grave
Hollidaysburg, Blair County, Pennsylvania, USA
Altoona Times, Altoona, Pennsylvania, Saturday, September 26, 1885, Page 1
BRADLEY - BLATTE
Mr. Hugh Bradley, a gentleman well and favorably known in Johnstown, when he has long resided, and Miss Kate Blatte, daughter of a well-to-do farmer living near McKee's Gap, this county, and much esteemed in that vicinity, were married in St. Patrick's church, Newry, on last Thursday morning, by Rev. Father Kittell. The happy couple will be at once serrle down to the realities of life in Mr. Bradley's home, corner of Market and Vine streets, Johnstown. We wish them well
Altoona Times, Altoona Pennsylvania, Saturday, September 20, 1890, Page 4
Captain Hugh Bradley Injured.
We learn from the Johnstown Tribune that Captain Hugh Bradley, of that city, whose presence here we noted a few days ago, and who has many friends in Altoona and Blair county, met with a painful mishap on the last Thursday evening. It seems that while Mr. Bradley was on his way home from the P.R.R. station he stopped to talk to a friend. Later the two men engaged in a friendly wrestle, during which Mr. Bradley stumbled and fell backward over the foundation wall of Emmanuel James' new building. He alighted, about ten feet below, on his head and shoulders. A number of men hastened to his assistance and found him insensible. A stretcher was obtained and he was carried to his home. His wife happened to be absent and he was taken to the residence of Mr. John C. Pender, near by. Subsequently, upon Mrs. Bradley's return, he was taken home and attended by Drs. J.C. Sheridan and L.H. Mayer. He remained unconscious throughout the night, but Friday morning he recovered his senses and was able to sit up, although very sore and suffering considerably. There was a scalp cut three inches long which had to be stitched, and his shoulders and arms were badly bruised. His neck is also very stiff and painful
Altoona Times, Altoona Pennsylvania, Monday, May 3, 1909 Page 6
Hollidaysburg, May 3
CAPTAIN HUGH BRADLEY DEAD
Captain Hugh Bradley, war veteran, pioneer resident of Johnstown and for the past several years a highly esteemed resident of Holliday-sburg, died at the Altoona hospital on Saturday night at 10:30, of congestion of the bowels, after a short illness. Mr. Bradly was first taken sick one week ago last Friday and was removed to the hospital for treatment. An operation was performed the day after he was admitted and a second one on Saturday morning, in the vain hope of saving his life, but his advanced age was against his recovery. The deceased was born in Ireland on March 4, 1833, and came to America when quite young. He became a resident of Johnstown when the city was in its infancy, and resided there for fifty years, becoming one of the most influential citizens being connected with some of the leading industries of the city. Mr. Bradley went to the front at his country's call , in the troublous days of the great civil strife, and proved himself a brave and loyal soldier, soon being advanced to the rank of captain of a company. He removed from Johnstown to this town three and a half years ago with his wife and lived here ever since, making a host of friends, being an amiable gentleman. He always had a pleasant word for everyone and was ever kind and courteous, being the possessor of a most affable disposition which nothing could change. When the end was near, those gathered at his bedside thought that he had lost consciousness and when a remark was made to that effect he opened his eyes with a kindly smile and weakly shook his head to show that he was still conscious.
Mr. Bradley was twice married, his second wife being Miss Kate Blatte. of Hollidaysburg, who survives him. He is also survived by the following children of his first wife. Edward, of Kentucky; Garvey of Boston, Mass.; John Bradley, a well known traveler and hunter of African big game; Mrs Scanlon Roth, of Ebensburg, and Mrs. Edward Bailey, of Johnstown. His sons will arrive today for the funeral, the time for which will be fixed later. Mr. Bradley was a member of St. Mary's Catholic church since his residence in Hollidaysburg.
Altoona Times, Altoona Pennsylvania, Saturday, April 24, 1909, Page 11
CAPTAIN BRADLEY IS ILL
The venerable Captain Hugh Bradley was taken seriously ill yesterday, with congestion of the bowels and is now lying dangerously ill at his home on North Clark Street. He is being attended by two local physicians and a spec-ialist from Johnstown, who are doing all in their power to save his life
Altoona Times, Altoona Pennsylvania, Tuesday, April, 27, 1909, Page 6
OPERATION NOT NECESSARY
The many friends of Captain Hugh Bradley, who last week taken to the Altoona hospital, suffering with congestion of the bowels will be pleased to learn that he has received suc-cessful treatment and that an operation will not be necessary. He is now somewhat improved and is on a fair way to speedy recovery.
Altoona Times, Altoona Pennsylvania, Saturday, May 1, 1909, Page 7
Dr. Charles E. Hannon, of Johnstown, will come to the Altoona hospital today, where he will perform an operation upon Capt. Hugh Bradley, formerly of that city, and now of Hollidaysburg. Capt. Bradley has been resting easy for a few days, but an operation has become imperative.
Altoona Tribune, Altoona Pennsylvania, Saturday, May 1, 1909, Page 9
A second operation will be performed on Captain Hugh Bradley at the Altoona hospital this morning. Dr. Charles E. Hannom, of Johnstown, has come to perform the oper-ation, which is imperative in character.
Altoona Tribune, Altoona, Pennsylvania, Monday May 3, 1909, Page 3
Captain Hugh Bradley, well known throughout Blair and Cambria Counties died at the Altoona hospital Saturday night from the effects of a surgical oper-ation. The deceased was a son of Roger Bradley, and wasborn in Londonderry, Ireland on March 4, 1833, being aged 76 years, 1 month and 27 days. He came to the country in 1850 and took up his abode in Johnstown, where he was in the employ of the Cambria Iron company for many years. He was a member of the old city guard, a military orga-nization formed in Johnstown some months prior to the coming of the Civil war. This organization became company K of the Third Pennsylvania Volunteers. John P. Linton was its captain and Mr. Bradly was the 1st Lieutenant. Before the close of the war, he was made the captain of a company, that went to the front. Three years ago, Captain Bradley moved to Holidaysburg and led a retired life here, residing on Clark Street. He was a well read man, an ectensive traveler. He was twice married, His first wife wax a Mary Riley, to their union were born these children: Edward of Chicago; John of New York city; Peter G. of Boston; Mrs Robert Scanlon of Ebensburg; and Mrs Edward W. Bailey of Johnstown. He is also survived by his second wife, Catherine Bradley. He was a member of the Grand Army Post in Johnstown. The funeral will be held ain St Mary's Catholic church on Wednesday morning.
Mary Riley 1st Wife of Capt. Hugh Bradley
Died at age 43 of Consumption
Mary Riley Bradley
BIRTH; 1837 DEATH: 1880 (aged 42–43)
New Florence, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, USA
MEMORIAL ID135266613 · View Source
The Cambria freeman, Ebensburg Penn-sylvania Friday, February 27, 1880, Page 3
--We are sorry to record the death in Johnstown, on Sunday last, of Mrs. Hugh Bradley, a lady whom we knew for many years as a most exemplary wife, mother and neighbor, as well as a devout and faithful member of the Catholic Church. She was a cousin, if we mistake not, of Hon. John Reilly, of Altoona. The disease to which she finally succumbed was consumption, with which she suffered for over two years. Her remains were taken to New Florence Tues-day forenoon for internment, after a Req-uiem High Mass at St. John's church, Johnstown. May her soul rest in peace.
Mary E Bradley 2nd Wife of Capt. Hugh Bradley
DEATH 12 MAR 1884 • Johnstown , PA Died after 2.5 years of marriage
Newspaper and Date Unknown
Mrs Mary Bradley
A brief announcement of the death of Mrs. Mary Bradley, wife of Mr. Hugh Bradley, of the First Ward, appeared in the Tribune last evening. The deceased had been in failing health for some time. A week ago last Monday she expressed a desire to visit her sister, Mrs. Ignatius Delozier, who resides in Conamaugh Borough. Her wish was gratified, and the change seemed at the time to have a beneficial influence. When evening came, however, she did not feel able to return to her home, and therefore passed the night ay her sister's. The next morning she was much worse, and her decline therefore was rapid. Mrs. Bradley was born on the Hickory Ridge, Allegheny Township, this county. She was a daughter of the late John Bradley. Beside her sister, Mrs Delozier, the deceased leaves two brothers, Edward and John, the former living at the old homestead, and the latter in Iowa; and two sister, Mrs. Frank Moran, of Allegheny Township, and Mrs. Patrick Malloy, who lives in Texas. Mrs. Bradley was a member of St. John's Catholic Church, and enjoyed the respect and esteem of her neighbors and acquaintances.
Saint John Gualbert Roman Catholic Cemetery
Johnstown, Cambria County, Pennsylvania, USA
MEMORIAL ID90706758 · View Source
CATHERINE BLATTE 3RD Wife of Capt. Hugh Bradley
DEATH 12 MAR 1884 • Johnstown , PA Died after 2.5 years of marriage
DEATH1933 (aged 88–89)
Hollidaysburg, Blair County, Pennsylvania, USA
MEMORIAL ID12791027 · View Source
Altoona Tribune, Altoona Pennsylvania, Saturday, August 26, 1933 Page 10
MRS CATHERINE BRADLEY
Mrs. Catherine Bradley, widow of Patrick Hugh Bradley, was found dead in bed at 5 a.m. yesterday at her home, 718 Twelfth street, Hollidaysburg.
She was born December 15, 1844, a daughter of Jerome and Susan Blatte. She was married to Pat-rick Hugh Bradley, Johnstown, 46 years ago. She is survived by one sister, Sister Scholestica, Baden, Pa; five children, G. R. and John Bradley. Louisville, Ky.; Grover Bradley, Palm Beach, Fla.; Mrs Mary Scanlon, Washington, D.C.; and Mrs. Catherine Bailey, Phila-delphia.
She was a member of St. Mary's Catholic church, Hollidaysburg. Funeral services will be held at St. Mary's church at 9 a.m. Monday. Internment will be in the old St. Mary's cemetery.
1. Edward Riley, born 1859, married Agnes Curry, of Chicago. Mr. Bradley lives in Chicago, where he is the proprietor of the Del Prado Hotel, and owns a blooded stock farm in the Blue Grass region of Kentucky. He recently sold Accountant, a fast runner, for forty-five thousand dollars.
2. James Francis, died in infancy.
3. Mary E., born 1863, married (first) Byron Gibbons; married (second) Robert Scanlon.
4. John Roger, born 1866, a broker in New York city, an extensive traveler, is known as one of the six great hunters of the world's big game. He has hunted in the Rockies, Alaska. Mexico, South Africa, Siberia, China, and has the finest collection of heads of horned animals in the world. He is now a resident of New York City, and is a contributor to the columns of The Illustrated Outdoor News and other sporting magazines.
5. Hugh Patrick, born 1868, died aged eight years.
6. Peter Garvey, born 1870, a machinist now living in Boston, Massachusetts.
7. Katherine, wife of Edward W. Bailev, of Johnstown.
THE JOHNSTOWN FLOOD
Published May 31, 2016 | By Caryn
Over the years, man has tried many ways to harness water. Water is a necessity to life, and without it, all things would die off. Some projects worked out better than others, and some simply needed to be replaced sooner than they were in order to prevent disaster. A good example of that is the earthen dam. An earthen dam is a dam that is built out of rocks and dirt, instead of steel and concrete. Of course, when dams were first built, earthen dams were the only way to go, but after so many failed, a new type of dam had to be designed, in order to save lives. One such failure was the earthen dam built in 1840 on the Little Conemaugh River, fourteen miles upstream from Johnstown, Pennsylvania. Johnstown is sixty miles east of Pitts-burgh, in a valley near the Allegheny, Little Conemaugh, and Stony Creek Rivers. The area lies in a floodplain that has had frequent disasters. This time would prove to be one of them. At nine hundred by seventy two feet, this dam was the largest earthen dam in the United States, creating the largest man-made lake at that time…Lake Conemaugh. At a time when here were no railroads in the area for trans-porting goods, the dam and its extensive canal system was the only way to transport goods to the people, but it became obsolete as the railroads replaced the canal as a means of transporting goods. The canal system was left to become a victim of the elements, and with its neglect, also came the neglect of the dam. In reality, people just didn’t really think anything would happen, and they most likely looked at the dam as just a part of the landscape.
By 1889, Johnstown had grown to a population of 30,000 people, many of whom worked in the steel industry…ironically. On May 30, 1889, it began to rain, and continued steadily all day. No one really gave any thought the potential harm so much rain could bring to the nearly sixty year old earthen dam. The dam had a spillway, and so everything seemed safe, but the spillway became clogged with debris, that could not be dislodged. On May 31, 1889, an engineer at the dam saw the warning signs, but the only way to notify anyone was to ride his horse into the village of South Fork to warn the people…a ride that took an eternity in the face of the impending disaster. Nevertheless, it should have been enough time, but the telegraph lines were down, and no warning ever reached Johnstown. At 3:10 pm, the dam collapsed with a roar that could be heard for miles. The water, moving at 40 miles per hour barreled down on the towns in it’s path, wiping out everything that got in its way. At Johnstown, 2,200 people lost their lives that day, including one Thomas Knox and his wife. Thomas, like a large number of the flood victims was never found. While I’m not sure that Thomas Knox is related to my husband, Bob Schulenberg’s family, it is quite likely that he is, as there are a number of Thomas Knox’s in the family…though none that I have found so far that died in the Johnstown Flood.
The people in the path of the raging flood waters, were tossed around, along with all that debris, including thirty three train engines that were pulled into the flood waters. I’m sure that for many, death did not come from drowning, but rather from blunt force trauma. Nevertheless, some people did manage to climb atop the debris, only to be burned alive when much of the debris caught fire, when it was caught in a bridge down-stream and burst into flames. There was a report of a baby that sur-vived on the floor of a house that floated 75 miles downstream, but that was some-thing that was not confirmed. It was during the Johnstown flood, that the American Red Cross handled its first major relief effort. Clara Barton arrived five days after the flood to lead the relief. In the end, it took five years to rebuild Johnstown, which went through disastrous floods in 1936 and 1977. I have to wonder if they should just move the town, but with no major floods since 1977, it’s hard to say.
1. EDWARD RILEY BRADLEY
DEATH CLAIMS NOTED TURFMAN AND FAMED WINNER OF FOUR KENTUCKY DERBIES AT IDLE HOUR FARM FOLLOWING AN ILLNESS OF TWO YEARS
The Palm Breach Post , Friday, August 16, 1946 Page 1
Edward Riley Bradley died Thursday morning at 3:35 (CST), a.m. West Palm Beach time, at his Idle Hour Farm at Lexington, Ky., following two years serious illness.
Death came to the famed winner of four Kentucky Derbies from a heart ailment he had suffered some years, on the nationally famous farm where he bred and raised thorobred horses internationally known for their racing ability.
At his bedside, where he remained conscious until the last, were: Mrs. Catherine B. Bailey, his only surviving sister; C. Barry Shannon, his long-time business associate and publisher of The Post-Times; Thomas S. Bohne, Mr. Bradley's private secretary, and Dr. Fred Rankin, Lexington physician.
Requiem high mass will be sung Monday at 11 a.m. (CST) at St. Paul's Catholic Church, conducted by the Rev. Father Joseph E. McKenna.
The body will reamin at the Milward Funeral Home until Saturday when it will be removed to the residence. Burial will be in Calvary Cemetery there, press dispatches from Lexington said last night.
Mr. Bradley left his Palm Beach home May 28 after spending the winter here. Shortly after his arrival in Kentucky he underwent a successful operation.
Mr. Bradley left no children. Mrs. Bradley, who was Miss Agnes C. Curry, of St. Louis, Mo. died suddenly January 15, 1926, in the China Sea, while on a world cruiser with a party of friends. One brother survives Mr. Bradley. He is John R. Bradley of Palm Beach. The surviving sister is Mrs. Catherine B. Bailey, of Palm Beach , who at the time of his death was making her home with Mr. Bradley.
Nephews and nieces surviving are Lt. Lockwood Bradley, of California, son of John Bradley; Edward Bailey and Bradley Bailey, Philadelphia; John Bailey, Scotland; Joe Bailey, Mobile, Ala.; Miss Louise Scanlon, Silver Springs, Md; Mrs Charles Brennig, New Rochelle, N.Y.; Mrs. Frank Speno, Jr., Palm Beach.
The death of E. R. Bradley, nationally-known capitalist, sportsman and philanthropist, of Palm Beach, Fla. and Lexington, Ky., marked the passing of a man who as far back as half a century ago was a cons-picuous and colorful figure in the development of the Florida East Coast, when dreams of its wonderful possibilities existed in the minds of Henry M. Flagler and a small coterie of associates like E. R. Bradley, who from time to time were associated with the great pioneer and builder.
Edward Riley Bradley was a native of Pennsylvania, born at Johnstown, Dec. 12 1859, son of Hugh and Mary Ann Riley Bradley.
Cramped family fortune and the opportunities of the then village of Johnstown afforded small support or inducement for the aspirations of the rugged and adventurous spirit of this lad, and after a hardening experience of employment in the steel mills, etc., in the locality of his birth, the boy heard and answered the call of the new and great west.
Of these early years of his life in Texas, Mr. Bradley rarely conversed at length. He preferred to "talk about horses," as he expressed it. It is known, however, that he very early underwent all of the hard-ships which befell the average boy who went to the plains in search of fortune and adventure, worked as a cowboy, as a scout for United States troops in early Indian wars, as a prospector and miner for gold in Arizona and Mexico and so on.
Tiring of life in the West, and in possession of means to establish himself nearer the center of popu-lation, Mr. Bradley next located in the rapidly growing city of Chicago, became interested in real estate speculations and as a hotel proprietor, finally devoted all of his activities to thorobred horse racing.
In 1890 Mr. Bradley's health became precarious, and his doctors convinced him that the life of a country gentleman was his only hope of recovery. He then went to Blue Grass Kentucky and in 1905 established the now widely famous Idle Hour Stock Farm, near Lexington, destined to become one of the most famous institutions of its kind in the world. This beautiful property he owned until the day of his death.
In 1891, Mr. Bradley, again a health seeker, still maintaining his racing activities and the life of a sportsman, decided to establish a winter home in Florida. After a short residence in St. Augustine, he chose Palm Beach as his permanent abiding place. Here he joined Flagler enthusiastically in the early development of what later became and still is in particular respects the most widely known winter resort in the world.
In Palm Beach Mr. Bradley founded the Beach Club, a private institution with rigid membership regulations which allowed admittance only to adult residents of States other than Florida. In addition to a membership card, evening dress also was a requirement for admission.
Some evidence of the esteem in which Mr. Bradley has been held in "The Palm Beaches," is gained from a clipping from a local newspaper of some years ago, which said in part:
"Colonel E. R. Bradley, wh is closing the Beach Club this week, is one of the pioneers of Palm Beach. His career of more than 30 years is replete with good works and charitable and generous acts, and no one in Palm Beach more earnestly emphasizes in his daily life the "brotherhood of man." Always public spirited, he he is ever to the fore in matters of civic and public importance, and a generous contributor to every worthy cause as well as to the church. Many of the improvements in Palm Beach would never have been made had it not been for Colonel Bradley. His management of his own prop-erty here, with his high sense of honorable endeavor and his liberal business policy, has commanded him to all, and has brought to him the friendship of some of the most important men in the world of American affairs. His generosity is still further emphasized in Palm Beach by the beautiful Catholic Church to whose building he was so generous a contributor. He is a member of the Bath and Tennis Club, the Oasis Club, the Everglades Club, and prominently identified with all Palm Beach activities, although he seldom goes about socially, save when he has guests."
Mr. Bradley's charities and benefactions were widespread. Suffering and want of every nature quickly appealed to him, to what extent will never be known. Many churches other than of his own creed found him generously sympathetic in their financial troubles. Probably his pet object of charity recently has been the orphanages of the State of Kentucky, regardless of race or creed.
For some years it has been his habit to give one-day charity race meetings at Idle Hour Farm, which became an important social as well as interesting annual sporting event in the Blue Grass region. The proceeds from these meetings were distributed to orphanages in Kentucky. I pro rata sums, with the distinct understanding that the funds would be used to provide beautiful Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for the children. When these one-day meetings were for some reason abandoned, Mr. Bradley continued personally the annual holiday distribution of money to the orphanages. This one private benefaction has amounted to upwards of $10,000 annually.
To attempt to recount here Mr. Bradley's career as a horseman would practically be equivalent to writing the history of thorobred racing in America during the long period within which his major activities were maintained. To his talents as an organizer and business executive was added an uncanny knowledge of winning strains and blood lines, and breeding particular individuals for battles of the turf. This knowledge, combined with his own theories, he pursued so well that his stock farm and his stables ultimately became widely known the world around for the speed and stamina of his great race horses.
Mr. Bradley's greatest thrill was seeing a thorobred of his own breeding win the Kentucky Derby . "There wouldn't be much thrill in buying a horse and winning the Derby with me." he once said. "It would be all right as a commercial proposition, like buying an automobile that would run faster than others. The real thrill comes in choosing the sire and dam, watching the colt develop, then seeing your faith in those bloodlines justified.
With an ample fortune founded on his real estate and investment operations prior to his purchase and equipment of his Blue Grass stock farm, the breeding and training of thorobred horses became his major passion and pastime, and so continued until his horses had won almost every major stake in America.
When his thorobreds began winning the Kentucky Derby, most prized racing stake of the United States, with regularity, he was called "the nation's premier turfman." He is the only owner so far to send four winners to the post in the Kentucky Derby. Twice his entry ran one, two.
He first won the Derby in 1921 when Behave Yourself and Black Servant, both bearing the Bradly green and white silks, ran first and second in the classic. He repeated this feat in 1926, when Bubbling Over and Baganbaggage finished first and second. In 1932 he won with Burgoo King and the next year captured the rich prize with Broker's Tip. Several other Bradley horses finished second or third in the Derby, but Blue Larkspur, which proved to be Bradley's money winning horse, was able to win only fourth in the 1929 Derby. Blue Larkspur won $272,000 during his racing career.
Mr. Bradley entered thorobred racing in the 90s.
The Bradley stable for decades was known as the "Lucky B" establishment because of his habit of giving all his thorobreds names beginning with the letter"B." All his Derby winners had three char-acteristic names. Others bore such cognomens as Broadway Jones, Beau Butler, Bet Music, Befuddle, Busy Signal, Buttered Toast, Bootto Boot and Barn Swallow. Despite his large race winnings, both in stakes and from wagers on his entries, the turf proved a costly hobby for Mr. Bradley. Though his winnings from stakes and purses alone passed the $2,000,000 mark in 1932, he estimated that his net losses from racing, because of the heavy upkeep of his breeding farm and maintenance expenses of his horses amounted to $30,000 annually.
Idle Hour Farm has always been open to tourists and sightseers who were most impressed by one one barn which quartered four stallions with an aggregate value of $1,000,000.
The veteran turfman was vitally interested in the Army Remount Service, founded to improve the quaulity of Army horses. He donated many stallions to this service, including Behave Yourself, 1921 Derby winner, and others which would have brought excellent prices on the open market.
Although Mr. Bradley would "bet on anything," he frequently advised other against gambling. "Playing the races will break any man in time," he said on one occasion. "The better is always fighting the percentages and the percentages can't lose."
Col. Edward R. Bradley
Palm Beach Pioneer and Philanthropist
E.R. Bradley: A colorful Palm Beach character
October 28, 2010 | Filed in: Eliot Kleinberg's Post Time columns.
Last week’s column on Guy Metcalf sparked a request that we profile another colorful pioneer, E.R. Bradley, who owned competing newspapers, albeit in different eras. Here’s a reprise of a December 2001 column:
Kentucky Col. Edward Riley Bradley operated his popular, but clearly illegal, casino in Palm Beach for a half-century. The former livery boy was the only owner in history with four Kentucky Derby winners.
He would buy the Palm Beach Post, Palm Beach Times and Palm Beach Daily News in 1934.
He opened his Beach Club in 1898, just four years after Henry Flagler made Palm Beach a synonym for turn-of-the century indulgence. Bradley’s club was renowned for its cuisine, but that wasn’t the draw. The white clapboard building on Royal Poinciana Way attracted tycoons who thought nothing of plunking down hundreds of thousands of dollars at the tables. It was a private club with a cadre of security guards. Membership was a who’s who. Stung by poor patronage the first year, Bradley and his brother were about to abandon the club when they opted to break tradition and admit women. But no single women or people younger than 25. No smoking inside. Drinks only with meals. Evening dress mandatory after 7 p.m.
Florida residents were barred; Bradley reportedly targeted society Northerners who could afford to lose big because he feared locals would end up on, or before, a grand jury.
Bradley made generous contributions to churches, charities, and politicians.
There were feeble attempts at raids, but he always got a tip, and by the time agents showed up, tables had been folded and guests swayed to an orchestra or sipped tea. Bradley, in ill health, closed the Beach Club in 1945 and died at 86 on Aug. 15, 1946; as per his will, the club was razed for Bradley Park. On his death, Joseph Kennedy lamented, Palm Beach “lost its zipperoo.”
Edward Riley Bradley
Birth: Dec. 12, 1859
Death: Aug. 15, 1946
Philanthropist, race track proprietor, and owner and breeder of racehorses.
Out for a spin on Worth Avenue, Col. Bradley was known for keeping a loyal staff of approx. 50 men and 20 women who were housed within the Beach Club’s compound. Mar-ried couples were not hired as they were believed to pass gossip among each other about the club’s guests. The staff was paid only once at the end of every season. Of course, this did not include the customary regular cash envelopes paid to local and state politicians and law enforcement officials. Noted for his many philanthropic endeavors in Kentucky and Palm Beach, Bradley was most generous to local Catholic and Jewish charities.
Groundbreaking for St. Edward Church, April 25, 1926. E.R. Bradley is in the foreground. Yes, It was named for him.
Col. ER Bradley's Helen Black leads to the winner's circle
In Addition to Brokers Tip, Bradley won the Kentucky Derby Also With Behave Yourself in 1921, Bubbling Over in 1926, and Burgoo King in 1932.
Bradley was the breeder of 15 champions, Including 13 Whose names started with the letter "B" Baba Kenny, Balladier, Barn Swallow, Bazaar, Big Pebble, Bimelech, Helen Black, Blue Larkspur, Bridal Flower, Burgoo King, Busher, But Why Not, and By Jimminy. The other two champions I have bred-Miss Jemima and Oedipus-raced for other owners and Were not named by Bradley.
Along With His success in the Kentucky Derby, Bradley Also HAD his share of good fortune in the Preakness and Belmont Stakes, winning the former on three occasions With Kalitan (1917), Burgoo King (1932), and Bimelech (1940) and the Latter twice with Blue Larkspur (1929) and Bimelech (1940)
From 1929 Through 1947, horses bred by Bradley won 21 championships, an average of more than one per year.
Three horses bred Bradley That Were RANKED on the Blood-Horse 's list of the Top 100 Racehorses of the 20th Century: Busher (# 40), Bimelech (# 84), and Blue Larkspur (# 100.)
Col. Bradley and the Rosarian Academy
Rosarian Academy is an independent Catholic school in West Palm Beach, Florida that was founded in 1925. The school is owned and operated by the Adrian Dominican Sisters and is the only independent Catholic school in Palm Beach County. The mascot of Rosarian Academy is Rowdie Raider who wears the Rosarian Shield on his hat, carries the shield on one arm, and holds the Rosarian 'Torch of Truth'.
Rosarian Academy's academics in grades K-8 are centered around the Core Knowledge Curriculum, a consensus-based model of specific content guide-lines developed by the Core Knowledge Founda-tion. Rosarian Academy currently has a student population of approximately 400, along with 44 teachers, 6 teaching assistants, and 10 support staff. It is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Since 1974 Rosarian Academy has been home to an early childhood Montessori educational program. The program currently admits children up to 5 years old.
Originally known as St. Ann-on-the-Lake, Rosarian Academy was first established by St. Ann's Church in conjunction with the Dominican Sisters of Adrian, Michigan. The Jesuits established St. Ann's Church in West Palm Beach in 1895. Henry Flagler later contributed to the development of St. Ann's by building a rectory and financing the relocation of the chapel from the corner of Rosemary and Datura to Olive Avenue and Second Street.
In 1923 Patrick Barry, fifth bishop of St. Augustine, invited the Dominican Sisters of Adrian, Michigan to West Palm Beach to establish a school for Catholic children. By the time the sisters arrived, 126 students were already registered and there was insufficient housing for all of them. Colonel Edward R. Bradley, a wealthy businessman and racing horse breeder, gifted the sisters with a 7 ¼ acre plot for the construction of a combined dormitory and school for female students. The building, named Bradley Hall, opened in 1925. At the time the school was named St. Ann-on-the-Lake Academy in honor of Colonel Bradley's mother. A school building was opened downtown the same year and students traveled from one to the other for classes.
In 1926 Florida was hit by the first of two historically devastating hurricanes and the Bradley Hall building began to deteriorate. On the night of September 16, 1928, the second hurricane, with winds gusting up to 130 mph, struck Palm Beach and moved inland, causing widespread devastation and killing as many as 2,000 people. The grounds of St. Ann-on-the-Lake Academy were a scene of devastation. Two original towers on the building were ripped off and the roof was blown away. The roof was replaced, but the towers were not.
The first students graduated from St. Ann-on-the-Lake Academy in 1934. This was also the first year that the girls attended all classes at the school's property, separating entirely from the St. Ann's Parish school. The 1930s were lean times and the sisters supplemented their incomes by tutoring students of all ages and both genders. In 1939, to avoid confusion between St. Ann-on-the-Lake and St. Ann's parochial school, the name of the former was changed to Rosarian Academy.
In September 1941 the school purchased the adjacent property, La Casa Hermosa, for use as dormi-tories. The property was thereafter referred to as Casa Maria and was used to house elementary students until elementary boarding was ended in 1967.After Bishop Gallagher of Detroit recovered from a winter cold there, the guest quarters at the Academy became a popular destination for mem-bers of the church hierarchy, including Archbishop McNicholas of Cincinnati; Bishop Karl Albers of Lansing; Archbishop Amleto Cicognani; Archbishop Edward Hoban of Cleveland; Archbishop Ryan of Hamilton, Ontario; and Father Coughlin, the "radio priest". For the blessing of the newly opened Casa Maria, Cardinal Dougherty of Philadelphia, Cardinal Mooney of Detroit, Archbishop Stritch of Chi-cago, Archbishop Hurley of St. Augustine, and Bishop Muench of Fargo were all in attendance.
The outbreak of World War II saw Rosarian Academy students and staff getting involved with the war effort. Students and Sisters took First Aid courses and raised money for Polish refugees. Choral programs were performed for wounded soldiers at Reams Hospital (the current Biltmore Hospital in Palm Beach) and the students performed a Christmas play for the local USO club. In 1944 the students participated in an all-out bond drive which raised $48,000, earning the Academy a US Department of Treasury medal in recognition of its service.The 1940s brought Rosarian Academy increased recog-nition for its academic program. In 1943 it was accredited by the Florida State Board of Education and in 1946 it was given accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. The Academy was accepted as a charter member of the National Honor Society in April 1947, and the first students were inducted into the Chi Tokos Rho Chapter during the Honors Assembly in May of that year. In 1947 the school also graduated twenty students for the first time. The number of students graduated would not fall below twenty again until 1991 with the exit of the final graduating class.
In the early years of the school male students had been admitted as day students, however in 1943 this practice was discontinued and the school would enroll girls exclusively until the creation of the Montessori Program in 1974. The tradition of Rosarian Week was first begun in 1945. The first Student Council was organized during the first Rosarian Week. Patricia Collier was elected the first student body president. Due to the school's rapid growth, the need for more schooling, chapel, and dormitory space was recognized. Ground on two new buildings was broken in March 1949 and in 1950 a new chapel and a new school building were dedicated. Recognizing the need to raise public aware-ness of Rosarian Academy, the school initiated a lively public relations program with the aid of Mrs. Frank J. Lewis whose culmination was the Red, White and Blue Ball at the Biltmore Hotel. In 1948 ground was broken on the new Rosary Chapel and the Angelicum, a new wing of the school.
In May 1951 Rosarian Academy Home Association (RAHA) was founded to promote cordial parent-teacher relationships and aid in raising funding support for the school. Mrs. Francis H. Sprankle, whose daughter was in grade school, served as the first chair. The first effort of the association was a theater benefit at the Paramount in Palm Beach which succeeded in raising $27,000. RAHA would later become RAFA. In 1952, Rosarian Academy purchased the Palm Beach Yacht Club for $75,000. The main floor was converted into an auditorium and eight music rooms. The basement was remo-deled to provide a shower room, lockers for day students, and a large classroom. To raise money for the remodel the school put together a fundraising drive with the motto Have a Heart for Rosarian. The highlight of the fundraiser was a showing of [The African Queen] at the Paramount Theatre, with Judy Garland and Peter Lawford among the guests. Door prizes included a donated Jaguar. Several school traditions were begun during this period, including the annual Spaghetti Dinner, which was first held in 1953. Other regular events that were established included the Reception Tea and the Spring Lun-cheon. The May Day Cake Social and benefit card parties that began at this time eventually evolved into golf tournaments, the Anniversary Ball, the Rosarian Roundup, and the fundraising auction. In 1956 Rosarian Academy acquired the Aiello property and in December of that year ground was broken for Lewis Hall, named for Academy supporter Frank J. Lewis. The new hall contained a large student dining room, a kitchen, a library, an art room, and an audio-visual room. For Christmas in 1958 Count and Mrs. Frank J. Lewis gifted the Harrington Apartments to the school. Later renamed Regina hall, initially it was used as the senior dormitory and lay faculty residence. Today it houses the Montessori Little School. The swimming pool and bathhouse were a gift from Bertha K. Evans in 1959.
During the late fifties the students of Rosarian Academy staged several high production-value musical shows directed by Paul Crabtree and financed by Frank J. Hale, first at the Palm Beach Playhouse, and later at the Royal Poinciana. Crabtree taught weekly classes in voice, acting, and stage construction, and was also managing director at the Playhouse and later the producer-director at the Royal Poin-ciana. The shows staged included Chonita in 1956, The Wizard of Oz in 1957, and Cinderella in 1958. Two original productions, The Perils of Pinocchio and Dreamland, U.S.A., were staged in 1959 and 1960. Rosarian Academy's traditional Christmas pageant got its start in 1958 under Paul Crabtree's direction, and the students designed the scenery and costumes themselves. This become a long-running annual tradition.
In 1961, Rosarian Academy's accreditation was renewed "unanimously and without reservation." In 1962, Rosarian Academy stopped taking boarders before the seventh grade, although day students were still accepted from younger grades. The kindergarten program was phased out in 1963. In December 1963, ground was broken for the Margaret Tighe Michlin Fine Arts Center in place of the old yacht club, which was removed by barge to Palm Beach Gardens. The Center was completed the following year. To inaugurate the building and dedicate the magnificent Allen organ (a gift from Perry Como and his wife) Berj Zamkochian, organist for the Boston Pops and Symphony Orchestras, was invited to play a concert in March 1965. That same year Perry Como and Ray Charles both visited the campus to hear the Rosarian Choral perform, and the Choral were later invited to be guests on Perry Como's nationwide television show, broadcast from Miami Beach Auditorium.
In 1966, trumpet player Al Hirt performed with the Rosarian Choral in a program called "Al Hirt Swings at Rosarian". Perry Como attended the program and sang during the intermission. In 1964 Sister John Virginia formed the Little Players of Palm Beaches for children in grades one through six. They performed productions including The Pied Piper, The Selfish Giant, and The Velveteen Rab-bit. In September 1964 Rosarian Academy inaugurated a nongraded program in mathematics and reading for grades one through four, extending it to grades five and six the following year. In 1966, team teaching became an integral part of the fifth and sixth grades' language arts, social studies and science programs. In November 1966 the Guidance Office, an area added to the second floor between the old and new sections of the school, was officially opened. In 1967 a study was undertaken that showed that Rosarian Academy's grade school was not a feeder for its upper level classes. The decision was made to phase out the grade school classes one grade level at a time. Father Gregory Durkin arrived in December 1966 from Springfield, Massachusetts to recover from a heart attack and became Rosarian's first resident chaplain, serving in that capacity until 1977. Organist Berj Zamkochian returned in February 1967 with a male choral called the Edmundites who performed in a joint recital with the Rosarian Choral. The Rosarian Choral then traveled to Boston to perform with the boys in their hometown. More joint concerts would follow in 1973 and 1975. A film studies program was introduced in 1967 by Sister Margaret Ryan (William Paul), head of the English department. The program focused on the technical aspects of filmmaking. The first student films to be presented to the public would be at the 1970 Rosarian Academy Awards, with trophies presented by Mrs. Perry Como.
In the 1972, Rosarian formally became a Middle School including sixth, seventh, and eighth graders, and a high school encompassing ninth through twelfth grade. At the same time the school transitioned to a strictly academic curriculum intended to prepare students for college. New electives were added to the coursework with the input of the students and Senior Projects, which often involved some form of community service project became a part of the senior year. During the spring Rosarian began offering week-long 'mini courses' as varied as yoga, decoupage, modeling, karate, computer program-ming, and gourmet cooking that students could voluntarily participate in. In 1973 interscholastic sports opened up a new area in which Rosarian Academy students in grades six through twelve could participate. Rosarian joined the Palm Beach County Junior High School Activities Association for grades six through eight and Florida High School Activities Association for grades nine through twelve. This gave Rosarian students access to competitive interscholastic sports such as volleyball, bowling, swimming, softball, tennis, and golf. In September 1974 the Montessori Little School opened under the directorship of Sister Jean Durrer. The program was for pre-kindergarten children 2 ½ to 4 ½ years of age and was located on the first floor of Regina Hall. Sister Anthonita Porta, an Adrian Dominican internationally recognized as a Montessori consultant, supervised the establishment of the program.
The Sophomore Religion Program also began in 1975. Students spent at least two hours a week in the community, comforting, helping, and teaching as needed. In 1976 Rosarian held its Golden Anni-versary Ball to celebrate its 50th anniversary. The event was held at the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach. Mrs. Victor W. Farris (Celia Lipton) was General Chairperson of the event and [Gordon MacRae] and [Milton Berle] were the featured entertainers. In 1976 Rosarian Academy acquired Myer's House on Eighth Street, which would later be known as French House. Over time it would serve as a faculty residence, Barry University Office, kindergarten, and classroom. Sister Eileen Sullivan and Sister Medeleine Sophie McLeod became co-principals in 1977. Glenn and Joy Evans continued the Rosarian tradition of annual musicals when they arrived in 1978 by directing Once Upon A Mattress, Bye, Bye, Birdie, and Hello Dolly. They also directed several dramas including David and Lisa and The Impor-tance of Being Earnest. That same year a photography lab was added to the campus in a section of the laundry area and classes were taught by Timothy Sanders.
In 1982 Eugene C. Mildon took over the theater department at Rosarian Academy and began to direct elaborately staged Broadway shows, including The King and I, Carousel, and Annie. The latter's performance included the original Broadway dog, Sandy, who spent ten days on the campus with his trainer and understudy. Former Rosarian teacher Sister Thomas James Burns became principal of Rosarian in 1983. During her tenure, kindergarten through second grade classes were reinstated at Rosarian. Sister Phyllis Kreiner, O.P., was the consultant for the formation of the new elementary school. One grade was added each year and in June 1992 the first coed eighth grade graduating class received their certificates. In 1983 Rosarian Academy acquired its own yellow bus to transport students to and from the campus, as well as to aid with field trips and athletic events. By 1988 the service had expanded to three busses and a sports van, which served the areas south to oynton/Delray, north to Jupiter, and west to Military Trail, accommodating over sixty students. In early 1986 a fire burned the garage apartments used as a faculty residence behind Myer's House and the building was torn down. In September 1988 Sister Mary Rose Hochanadel, O.P., joined the staff as Elementary Principal for the expanding grade school. Sister Margaret Exworthy became director and High School Principal in 1989. By that year registration for grade school classes had ballooned to the point that there were two classrooms for each grade and the school's facilities were at maximum capacity.
In 1990 an after-school athletics program was organized for the students in grades one through six, which included basketball, soccer, flag football, and swimming. 1991 saw a momentous change as it was determined that Rosarian's all-girl's high school program needed to close. There were fewer students interested in attending an all-girls school and it was believed that male students would not be interested in attending a school that had formerly been known to be girls only. In May 1991 the high school graduated its last class of nineteen seniors, while the kindergarten through eighth grade programs continued. In 1994, Regina Hall was razed and the construction of new offices for the Adrian Dominicans begun in its place. The new Regina Hall was completed in 1996. In December 1996, Bradley Hall was razed in preparation for the new, larger Mary Alice Fortin Building. Because this building would require more space, Casa Maria was also razed to make room for it. In 1998 cons-truction of the Fortin Building was completed. The new structure replaced Bradley Hall. Its cons-truction was funded in part by wealthy philanthropist Mary Alice Fortin, widow of late oilman Philip Fortin. The school also purchased two neighboring houses on 8th street, which were converted for the use of office and maintenance personnel.
In 2001, ground was broken on the Margaret and Michael Picotte Center for Athletics and Fine Arts. The building was officially dedicated in May 2009. In 2010, the Garvy Gym was opened and the Rosary Chapel was re-dedicated with a Mass led by Bishop Gerald Barbarito. In 2012, the school reopened the theater and the Machlin family returned the naming rights of the Theater to Rosarian Academy. In 2012, Rosarian Academy reopened the theater and the Machlin family returned the naming rights to the school.
The Rosarian Academy campus sits on the edge of Lake Worth in West Palm Beach. It consists of nine buildings, most of which exist thanks to the generosity of the school's benefactors, including the Margaret Tighe Machlin Theatre, Lewis Hall, Victor W. Farris Library, and the Mary Alice Fortin Building. Until 1927 the campus extended to the water's edge, until the city of West Palm Beach paid the Rosarian Academy $1,650 for a sixty-foot right of way to build Flagler Drive. The Adrian Domi-nican Sisters retained riparian rights and the city also agreed to install a seawall and maintain it for forty years. In 1954 the State Road Department purchased another parcel of land for the purpose of widening the road, creating the present limits on the property frontage. The school's original building, which came to be known as Bradley Hall, was a three-story structure with a basement. The basement contained a lobby, gymnasium, furnace and laundry. The first floor contained a chapel, a dining hall, a community room for the sisters, a kitchen, offices, and a guest room with a bath. The second floor contained classrooms, a library, a study hall, three music rooms, an infirmary, and a large bathroom. The third floor contained the dormitories for the sisters and the students, bathrooms and changing rooms. The building featured two towers on the roof, as well as a rooftop garden, but these were destroyed during the 1928 hurricane. Today the structure has been replaced by the Mary Alice Fortin building. The Rosary Chapel was constructed in 1949. The interior design of the Rosary Chapel was the work of Sister Helene O'Connor, a former head of the Studio Angelico Art Department of Siena Heights College. The chapel contained fifteen rosettes surrounding the mahogany cross in the sanc-tuary. It also contained statues of St. Dominic, the Blessed Mother, and the Stations of the Cross. In the 1990s the chapel was converted into a physical education building and chapel services were held in the Margaret Tighe Machlin Theatre. In 2010, with the opening of Garvy Gym, the Rosary Chapel was rededicated as a chapel once more in a mass led by Bishop Gerald Barbarito. The original painting ""Our Lady of the Rosary" by C. Bosseron Chambers was donated by Frank J. Hale and still hangs in the student's dining hall. The Picotte Center Athletics and Fine Arts is a 49,000 square foot complex completed in 2009 which includes a dining area, health classrooms, a technology suite, a gymnasium, drama lab, music room, and after school classrooms.
Rosarian Week is a celebration of the Feast of the Holy Rosary and Rosarian Academy's patron which occurs the first week of October. First started in 1945, it was originally only a day long celebration. It began with a "Missa Cantata" sung by the students, continued with the debut of the whole student body in which they were presented to the faculty, parents, and friends around 4 pm in Our Lady's Garden, and came to its completion with an evening banquet. By 1957 the celebration had expanded to fill an entire school week with a special event on each of the five days. Special days often include Spirit Day, Color Day, Alumnae Day, Open House, and a Family Barbeque. Award ceremonies are held at the conclusion of each scholastic trimester. Students are recognized for achievement in academics, ath-letics, and community service. The highest award, the St. Dominic Award, is bestowed at graduation to a student who exemplifies qualities of joy, service, leadership, and achievement. A number of clubs have been organized on the Rosarian Academy campus, including an Art club, a Society of Creative Writers, a Spanish Club, a Drama Club, a Show Choir, and a National Math Club. Most clubs meet once or twice a week after school. The National Junior Honors Society at Rosarian Academy is a chartered member and affiliate of the national office of NJHS. Students in the 5th through 8th grades elect a student council each year who set standards for peer behavior and take leadership roles at school dances and social functions. A president and vice president are also elected. Officers are required to have a C average for the current school year and no failing marks, no less than a "2” in each class in effort and conduct, and no record of school suspension or chronic disciplinary problems.
Students in kindergarten through fourth grade participate in intramural school sports including soccer, tennis, golf, basketball, swimming, lacrosse, and space and movement. Students in grades five through eight may try out for the interscholastic sports teams. Sports include flag football, volleyball, cheerleading, swimming, basketball, soccer, tennis, lacrosse, and golf. In the 1986–1987 school year the Rosarian golf team became state champions, and the following year they earned the title of state runner-up.
HOTEL DEL PRADO - THE ORIGINAL - 59TH AND DORCHESTER - BUILT FOR 1893 WORLD'S FAIR - FEW PEOPLE WALKING NEARBY - DEL PRADO NAME LATER REUSED AT 5307 S. HYDE PARK BLVD WHICH STANDS TODAY AS APARTMENTS
Chicago Tribune, Wednesday, February 5, 1908, Page 3
After Hours in Hyde Park
Prosecution of the Del Prado Hotel proprietors on the charge of selling liquor without a license was ordered by Corporation Counsel Brundage in a communication to City Prosecutor George H. White.
The same action, it is understood, will be taken against Chicago Beach Hotel, both places are in prohibition territory.
Attorneys Church, McMurphy & Sherman, representing the Chicago Law and Order league and Hyde Park Protective association, secured the evidence against the hotels.
Edward R. Bradley and William S Meserve are proprietors of the Del Prado, and the action will be directed against them.
Chicago Tribune, Tuesday, November 29, 1910, Page 15
$150,000 PRICE OF FEE UNDER HOTEL
M. H. Cartwright Buys the Del Prado Property; 99 Year Lease Given Back
G. FRED RUSH IN DEAL
With others Sells Land Under Its Michigan Avenue Buildings to L. C. Railroad.
The fee under the Del Prado Hotel on Midway Plaisance just west of Illinois Central Railroad was sold yesterday by Lewis E. Ingalls of Joliet to M. H. Cartwright of Nashville, Tennessee for $150,000, the seller taking back a ninety-nine year lease on the land at an annual rent of $8,000, or 2.33 per cost upon the selling price.
The land has a south frontage of 800 feet on the Midway, an east frontage of 250 feet on Washington avenue and a west frontage of 200 feet on Madison avenue, and the average depth of 225 feet. The sale is on the basis of $300 a front foot and about $2 a square foot. The Del Prado, which is four stories high, was erected in 1893 at a cost of $200,000. It is one of the few of the many hotels built prior to the World’s Fair that has proved a success.
It is convenient to Washington and Jackson Parks, is within five minutes walk of Lake Michigan, and is only across the street from the University of Chicago. Mr. Ingalls now is expending $100,000 on new equip-ment and appointments, a new power house being erected at a cost of $35,000. The hotel is conducted by E. R. Bradley, who holds the property under lease for ten years, expiring May 1, 1911, and he has now renewed it for an additional term of ten years from that date an approximate net annual rental to the lessor of $20,000. The sale of the fee and the lease wrre negotiated by Charles H. Goodykoontz & Co.
Chicago Tribune, Sunday, January 27, 1918, Page 13
Hotel Manager of Chicago Dies In The West
Hector H. McLean for the last fifteen years manager of the Del Prado Hotel, was killed yesterday near Cascade Colo. When an automobile stage in which he was riding was struck by an engine on the Colorado Midland railroad. Charles Anderson of Cripple Creek and J. T. Hawkins of Colorado Springs also were killed. Edward McLean, sixteen years old, son of the hotel man, escaped.
Mr. McLean had gone to Colorado to appoint a manager for a mine owned by E. R. Bradley, owner of the Del Prado Hotel. Mr. Bradley is in Palm Beach, Fla.
Mr. McLean was born in Finch, Ont. 41 years ago. He had been a resident of Chicago for many years and was a member of the South Shore Country Club and was a Shriner. He is survived by his widow and three children. In addi- tion to Edward there being Hector, 12 and Robert, 2 years old. The body will be returned to Chicago.
Chicago Tribune, Sunday, November 10, 1918, Page 19
Del Prado Hotel Sol;
Manager Now is Head
The Del Prado hotel at fifty-ninth street and Blackstone avenue has changed hands. The new management took charge yesterday. A. J. Sheppard, manager of the hotel for more than ten years, is head of the syndicate which purchased the lease and furnishings. E. R. Bradly is the retiring owner. The consideration is not stated. Mr. Sheppard formerly was manager of the Virginia and Gladstone hotels. He was at each place for three or four years.
Mary Elizabeth "May" Bradley