JUQUIA, SÃO PAULO
On the banks of the Juquiá River, almost at the confluence of the São Lorenço river, the village of Santo Antônio de Juquiá was founded in 1829 by Felipe Fernandes and other explorers.
Built the chapel, it was the same Cured in November of 1831, in the term of Iguape.
In April of 1853 was raised to the parish, still in the municipality of Iguape and with the name of "Santo Antônio de Juquiá".
The toponym Juquiá was instituted by Law no. 9073, of March 31, 1938. Juquiá no tupi can mean: "dirty river", "fruit thorn", or "covo para peixe"; but it seems that the first is what best explains, by the dark waters that bathe the city.
In December of 1948 it was elevated to Municipality.
Juquiá has in its banana culture its main product, justifying the nickname "Banana Capital".
Parish created with the denomination of Juquiá, by Provincial Law no. 11, of April 16, 1853, in the Municipality of Iguape.
In the administrative division of Brazil for the year 1911, the District of Juquiá is included in the Municipality of Iguape.
Thus remaining in an administrative division for the year 1933.
In territorial divisions dated 31-XII-1936 and 31-XII-1937, the judicial district of Juquiá in the Municipality of Iguape.
In the table annexed to State Decree-Law No. 9073, dated March 31, 1938, the District of Juquiá remains in the Municipality of Iguape.
By State Decree-Law 9775, of November 30, 1938, this District was transferred from the Municipality of Iguape to the new Municipality of Prainha.
In 1939-1943 the District of Juquiá appears in the Municipality of Prainha. By State Decree-Law No. 14334 of November 30, 1944, the Municipality of Prainha was renamed Miracatu.
Within the framework set by Decree-Law 14334, to be effective in 1945-1948, the District of Juquiá is in the Municipality of Miracatu.
High to the category of municipality with the name of Jequia, by Law no. 233, of December 24, 1948, dismembered from Miracatu. Constituted of the Headquarters District. Its installation took place on April 10, 1949.
Once the territorial framework was established to be in force in 1949-1953, the municipality remains composed of the Headquarters District. Thus it remains within the framework established by State Law no. 2456, from 30-XII-1953 to be valid in 1954-58.
In the territorial division dated 01-VII-1960, the municipality is constituted of the Headquarters District.
Thus remaining in territorial division dated 15-VII-1999.