Benjamin Douglas Trevor
BENJAMIN D TREVOR was born 19 Apr 1869 in DEVON, ENGLAND, and died 20 Nov 1945 in KEYWEST, FL.He married MARY E FOGERTY on 15 Dec 1897 in KEY WEST, FL, daughter of JEREMIAH FOGARTY and ROCILLA BARTLUM.
More About BENJAMIN D TREVOR and MARY E FOGERTY:
Marriage: 15 Dec 1897, KEY WEST, FL.
Children of BENJAMIN D TREVOR and MARY E FOGERTY are:
JEREMIAH TREVOR, b. Abt. 1899, KEYWEST, FL, d. date unknown.
MARY B TREVOR, b. Abt. 1902, KEYWEST, FL, d. date unknown.
EDWIN F TREVOR, b. Abt. 1906, KEYWEST, FL, d. date unknown.
1880 United States Federal Census
Name: Benny Trevore
Birth Year: abt 1867
Home in 1880: Valparaiso, Porter, Indiana
Relation to Head of House: Son
Marital Status: Single
Father's name: Edwin Trevore
Father's Birthplace: England
Mother's name: J. M. Trevore
Mother's Birthplace: England
Neighbors: View others on page
Occupation: At School
Deaf and dumb:
Idiotic or insane:
Edwin Trevore 50
J. M. Trevore 48
Blanch Trevore 18
Benny Trevore 13
John H. Trevore 29
Mary Trevore 23
Hugh Trevore 2
1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Benjamin D Trevor
Birth Date: Apr 1867
Home in 1900: Key West, Monroe, Florida
Immigration Year: 1872
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Mary E Trevor
Marriage Year: 1897
Years Married: 3
Father's Birthplace: England
Mother's Birthplace: England
Occupation: View on Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Benjamin D Trevor 33
Mary E Trevor 28
Jerymiah J Trevor 1
New York, State Census, 1892
Name: B D Travor
Birth Year: abt 1867
Birth Place: England
Residence Place: Saratoga Springs, Saratoga
Election District: 11
1920 United States Federal Census
Name Benjamin Trevor
Birth Year abt 1868
Home in 1920 Key West Ward 4, Monroe, Florida
Street Division Street
House Number 1227
Immigration Year 1873
Relation to Head of House Head
Marital Status Married
Spouse's Name Mary Trevor
Father's Birthplace England
Mother's Birthplace England
Native Tongue English
Able to Speak English Yes
Industry Ice Factory
Employment Field Wage or Salary
Home Owned or Rented Own
Home Free or Mortgaged Mortgaged
Naturalization Status Naturalized
Able to read Yes
Able to Write Yes
Benjamin Trevor 52
Mary Trevor 48
Jeremiah Trevor 21
Mary B Trevor 18
Edwin W Trevor 14
In 1919, Benjamin Trevor and George Morris built Casa Antigua, which was then known as the Trev-Mor Hotel. The Trev-Mor was one of Key West's first hotels. It was advertised as the island's first fireproof hotel because it had 13 inch thick walls that were made from recycled bricks from Fort Zachary Taylor. The bricks date back to 1845.
The hotel offered 46 rooms on the second and third floors and featured a Ford car dealership on the first floor.
In April 1928, Ernest Hemingway and his wife, Pauline, arrived in Key West on an ocean liner, having spent seven years in Paris. Hemingway came to Key West to pick up a new Ford he had ordered from the Trev-Mor Ford Agency so he and his wife could drive up the Keys to the mainland.
The car was late being delivered and the Hemingways were stranded. Mr. Trevor and Mr. Morris apologetically put them up in a hotel room on the second floor. It took two weeks for the car to arrive.
During this impromptu stay, Hemingway fell in love with Key West. He was able to view the seaport from the hotel and stroll down to Mallory Square to find boats for deep-sea fishing adventures. Of course his nighttime jaunts-a few blocks to Sloppy Joe's- became legendary. Ernest Hemingway finished "A Farewell to Arms" during his stay at the Trev-Mor Hotel.
The Hemingways stayed on at the Trev-Mor for two years before moving into their home at 907 Whitehead Street.
As the years went by, the fame and fortune of the hotel changed. It was sold a couple of times and used as a rooming house. In the 1950's, the first floor car dealership was transformed into a jazz club.
In 1975, having survived 56 years of hurricanes, the "fireproof" building was gutted by fire. The current owners renamed the building Casa Antigua, which means "old house" in Spanish. The remains of the hotel have been transformed into one of the most unusual homes on the island. It features an open-air three story interior atrium. The atrium overflows with tropical plants that surround the pool that was the original cistern.
Casa Antiqua and the Pelican Poop gift shop are open to the public.
Built by Captain Martin Hellings in 1892. Captain Hellings was the manager of the International Ocean Telegraph Company. The importance of his job is obvious if you consider that before the advent of radio and telephones the telegraph was the only way to communicate long distances.
The Captain’s wife Eleanor was the daughter of William Curry, who was one of the foremost merchants of his time and is believed to be Florida’s first millionare.
Eleanor Hellings was the founder of the Key West branch of the Christian Science Church.
In 1940 the building was purchased by the Key West Woman’s Club. During the first 20 years of their ownership the house had two main functions. The left side of the building was maintained as the only public library in Monroe County and the rooms on the right side were club rooms.
The Women’s Club was instrumental in the building of the Monroe County Library in 1959 located at 700 Fleming Street in the Historic District.
Behind the house, the red frame structure with a gabled metal roof was once a carriage house for a horse used by the U.S. Post Office. It is currently the home of the Red Barn Theatre.
Originally built in 1839 as a two story house. In 1870 a third floor, featuring a mansard roof and gable dormers, was added. The mansion has a wonderful mix of Bahamian, New England and French architectural elements. Notice the elaborate ornamentation of porch posts and hand-wrought iron balconies.
The mansion is best known for one of its inhabitants, Dr. Joseph Yates Porter, Florida's first Public Health Officer. Dr. Porter was instrumental in discovering that yellow fever was carried and spread by mosquitoes.
Prior to this discovery, many ill-founded remedies were used to rid communities of the deadly disease. One of the most common of these was the use of quarantines. Ships would be detained in port and whole communities would be restricted from traveling to neighboring towns. Another remedy was to burn all a patient's belongings. Dr. Porter and his colleagues put an end to these practices and to the scourge of Florida that had lasted from before the Civil War well into the early 1900's.
Dr. Porter lived in the mansion for 80 years and died in the same room in which he was born.
This photo was taken December 18, 1902 in Playa del Maranao.
Dr. Porter is the man in the middle. On the left is William Sherman Jennings, Governor of Florida. The man on the right is William Crawford Gorgas, Surgeon General of the United States Army.
The photographer was Jose Gomez de la Carrera.
The photograph came from Cottage Antiques in Ellicott City, Maryland.
Florida was the youngest daughter of William Curry and Euphemia Lowe Curry. She married Dr. Jeptha Vining Harris. During the Civil War, he was an Assistant Surgeon in the Confederate States Navy. They had one daughter Marion who was born in 1894.
The building now known as the Southernmost House in Key West was constructed in 1896 as a family home for Dr. Jeptha Vinning Harris and his family. Dr. Harris became a prominent leader in Key West. The Harris' used the finest materials in their house to withstand hurricanes. But because they valued their privacy, the original structure was built with just one bedroom. It had an adjacent guesthouse to accommodate visitors and family.
Judge Vinning Harris built the Southernmost House in 1897. Harris's wife, Florida Curry, was the youngest daughter of William Curry, Florida's first millionaire. The Curry family were prolific builders with eight mansions in the Historic District to their credit.
This impressive Queen Anne Victorian style house was designed as a one-bedroom mansion. What it lacked in bedrooms it more than made up for with its open water views, elegant public rooms, two story balconies, and large stained glass windows to catch the ocean breezes.
Electricity was a novelty and a luxury in the 1890's. Mrs. Harris wanted the best and was able to engage Thomas Edison to oversee the electrical design and installation for the house.
The Harrises were prominent citizens at the turn of the century and had invested in Henry Flagler's Overseas Railroad to Key West. They often entertained him at the mansion during the construction of what is thought to be one of the transportation engineering feats of the day.
During the Prohibition period from 1919-1933 the mansion served as a "speakeasy." The first floor was a restaurant; the second floor was used for casino gambling and the third floor for "socializing." During this period, celebrities and notorious gangsters who were en route to Havana visited the mansion.
In the 1940's the mansion was operated as a night club called "Caf� Cayo Hueso," hosting such notables as Ernest Hemingway, Tennessee Williams, Gore Vidal, Truman Capote, Tallulah Bankhead, Gloria Swanson, Louis Armstrong, and Charles Lindbergh.
In 1949 the mansion was completely renovated for use as a private residence. Since then many dignitaries and heads of state have been welcomed at the mansion. Among these are King Juan Carlos of Spain and five American Presidents: Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, John Kennedy, Richard Nixon and Jimmy Carter.
The home was originally constructed in 1875 by Charles Curry, son of Florida's first millionaire William Curry. The current structure was built in 1887 after the first house was destroyed in the fire of 1886. This home was characteristic of the grand mansions built by the Curry children, 2nd only to the Southernmost Mansion built by his sister Florida.
After Charles’ death, his daughter Corinne's fiancee, Dr. Joseph Norman Fogarty, bought the home in 1900 as her wedding present. Dr. Fogarty was a prominent member of the Key West community and now owned the nicest home in the “blue blood” district of Key West. Dr. Fogarty was Mayor of Key West for an impressive 6 year / 6 term span, very unusual in those days.
In 1912, during the last year of Fogarty's Mayoral term, they hosted two very important receptions at their stately manor. On January 22, 1912 there was a large reception for Henry Flagler to celebrate the completion of Flagler’s Overseas Railroad. On December 21, 1912 the Fogarty's held a reception for President Taft, as he stopped over in Key West while on his way to an inspection of the Panama Canal.
After the Fogarty's passed, the house fell slowly into disrepair. Through the 60's it became a hippie crash pad and was nearly razed in 1970 after countless complaints of the vagrants inside. It was purchased by John and Dolly Dedek in 1971. They restored the house and transformed it into the Fogarty House 1875 Restaurant.
The Hard Rock Café in Key West is a very busy place filled with tourists, but locals know this building as a haunted house. In the room upstairs, a ghost has been living or has been undead for quite a while now. His name was Robert Curry and he grew up a block away in a big house. His parents were William and Mary Curry who became the very first millionaires in the island. William Curry turned Key West into the richest city per capita in the U.S at his time. He was salvaging ships and he was often accused of intentionally misdirecting ships on the reef, so he could make a lot of money. No matter how he became rich, this family owned several successful businesses in the island at that time.
His son, Robert Curry grew up and became known as a very obnoxious, rich young man. He was the type of kid who walks over to you and says “my birthday party is next week, and you better be there with a nice gift, because some day I will be your boss”. By the time he graduates high school, he could not get a date to go the prom. So, he goes to Miami for college, and falls in love with a girl called Ann. They get married very quickly and it seems like she marries him for the money. As a wedding present, they get this house. In a few years, Ann becomes just like everyone in the city, she hates Robert. What’s worse she falls in love with a rival of Robert and she divorces him. Now if that not enough, Robert sucks at managing the family businesses and they all start to fail.
As everything spiral downs, Robert curry walks into this room one day, which used to be his master bath room. He quietly takes a noose, and kicks the bucket - kicks a chair actually. The place where this hanging light is, is the very place he hanged himself.
Today, chairs will fall down, and the hanging light will move, just like you can see it moving in the video. This light will stop moving when people leave the room. Nowadays, this room is used for private parties, but the staff do not like coming up here alone, they try to come in as a team. Several employees have quit working at the hard rock café after working here late at night.
One guy, being a manager, comes here early in the day. He is working downstairs all by himself, hears noise up here. So he is curious, walks up and finds all the chairs strewn around, as if the night staff did not do their job the night before. He puts everything back in place and goes back down. He hears more noise, now he runs back up and all these chairs are neatly stacked up on top of the tables. Needless to say, he quit his job and stories like these can be heard a lot from former employees of the Hard Rock Café.
313 Duval St. Key West, FL 33040
This is the room upstairs where the unfortunate incident happened
The hanging light will start moving when people enter the room
Amsterdam’s Curry Mansion Inn is comprised of 28 unique guest rooms in three different structures. The Mansion, built in 1869, is open for tours daily. Four guest rooms and the owner’s residence are located on the second floor.
The Guest Wing wraps around the rear of the house and the 16 room either overlook or open onto the pool and deck area where breakfast and cocktails are served daily.
The James House is located directly across Caroline Street. Each of the eight accommodations has either a porch or a balcony. Some have sitting rooms with daybeds and trundles which makes it perfect for families.
Whichever one you choose, remember that our house is your house when you visit Key West.
William Curry - Florida's First Millionaire
The site was originally where William Curry, Florida's first millionaire, built his home in 1855. He lived here for nearly 40 years. His son Milton, a partner in the William Curry and Sons Company, demolished all but the stone kitchen in 1905 and constructed the grand Victorian style mansion that stands on the property today.
Local lore has it that in the kitchen, back when it was part of William Curry's original house, a cook nicknamed "Aunt Sally" baked the first official Key Lime pie in the wood burning stove. This event would make the Curry Mansion the birthplace of the now world-famous Key Lime Pie.
The Curry Mansion is a beautiful structure. Woodwork carved from Birdseye maple is featured throughout the 22-room mansion. The building is constructed of Dade County Pine, a wood that is both handsome and durable. Dade County Pine is stronger and more resistant to termites than other woods shipped in from around the world. This is one of the reasons the mansion has remained in pristine condition over its 105 years.
It is rumored that William Curry gave each of his children $5,000 towards their new homes. It was either a handsome down payment or a clever way to entice his children to move out and find a house of their own.
In a friendly rivalry, each of his children went to great lengths and expense to outdo one another.
Milton Curry was one of the 7 Curry offspring who built extravagant homes in Key West. The other 5 homes are the Woman's Club (#2), the Southernmost Mansion (#8), Fogarty's Restaurant (#18), the Hard Rock Cafe (313 Duval), and 612 Eaton Street (private residence).